Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

free AV

• Please log in to reply

Kraker

Kraker

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I am using AVG free which as u know expires May 31. I would like to try AVAST free version but would also like to D/L AVG 8 free edition. Is there any reason I shouldn't D/L both? Thanks.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
The free version of AVG always has an expiration date, but another free version of it comes out the day the other one expires. They just make it harder to locate so that some people are somewhat 'tricked' into thinking they need to actually buy it. Just look harder at the page on that date or ask on the forums here and someone will be able to point you in the direction of the free version.

Kraker

Kraker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks for reply. Is there any reason I shouldn't D/L both AVAST & AVG?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Thanks for reply. Is there any reason I shouldn't D/L both AVAST & AVG?

Two AV's running at the same time will only cause bad things to happen. Both have realtime protection and will conflict with each other and could cause very very bad things to happen to your computer. Just keep one installed. You don't need more then one anyways since both AVG and Avast! are great products.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

I would like to try AVAST free version but would also like to D/L AVG 8 free edition. Is there any reason I shouldn't D/L both? Thanks.

It is not a good idea to run more than one firewall, or anti-virus program. Running more than one of these at a time can cause system crashes, high system usage and/or conflicts with each other. If you would like to try them both out just do one at a time, then decide witch one you like better. :)

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
you beat me to it Fenor.... :-)

Kraker

Kraker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks everyone!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

you beat me to it Fenor.... :-)

Gotta be quick quick quick! :)

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
The best place to go and get the free versions of either Avast or AVG imo.

http://filehippo.com/

Look under antivirus programs.

Personally I switched to Avast after AVG added all those extras.