Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupt Icons for many applications, EXE Icons or noicon displays

• Please log in to reply

mgr_classmates

mgr_classmates

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I had some malware/viruses on my PC which have been removed by the great help of Tal in virus's help section. See my orginal post http://www.geekstogo...s....html&st=15.

Now I can run the Windows Update as well but the main problem is icons are corrupt as they have changed to EXE Icons or Windows NOICON behaviour. (see the attached photo for more explanation)

Can anyone help me on this???

icons_Problem.JPG

Advertisements

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hey mgr_classmates,

Congrats on removing the viruses!

Just want to know, if you click on the programs that are lacking the appropriate icons, what happens?
Does it:
a) Execute the program normally?
or
b) Attempt to search for the program and fails?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello mgr_classmates...

This can be caused by a number of things.

Let's try rebuilding the icon cache first. From Control Panel, open Folder Options. Under the "View" tab, put a tick in the button next to "Show hidden files and folders, and remove the tick from the box next to "Hide protected system files"....accept the change.

Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\your_user_name\Local Settings\Application Data. In the Application Data folder, you should see a file named IconCache.db...right click on this file and choose "Delete". Accept the change, close all open windows, and reboot.

The icon cache will be regenerated during Windows startup.

Does this address the problem?

wannabe1

mgr_classmates

mgr_classmates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Hey mgr_classmates,

Congrats on removing the viruses!

Just want to know, if you click on the programs that are lacking the appropriate icons, what happens?
Does it:
a) Execute the program normally?
or
b) Attempt to search for the program and fails?

It does execute the programs in a normal way.

mgr_classmates

mgr_classmates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hello wannabe1

I have deleted that file and I am going to reboot the system. I will update the feedback after I come back.

rebooted the System, but no luck.

it is not all the icons ... mostly it is all EXE icons or EXE Link icons besides that messenger, MS Office icons are all corrupt. Additionally, I though A repair on MS Office might bring everything in order but I am unable to install/unintstall Office 2007, it gives error or closes abruptly.

Regards

Edited by mgr_classmates, 26 May 2008 - 12:10 PM.

mgr_classmates

mgr_classmates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
no luck ....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...at least we now know you have a fresh icon cache.

Download the attached file and save it to your desktop. Right click on the downloaded file and choose "Extract All"...extract the file to the desktop. Double click on the extracted file and accept the change when you are asked if you want to merge this with the registry.

Reboot.

Any change?

Attached File  xp_exe_fix.zip   745bytes   311 downloads

mgr_classmates

mgr_classmates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
no luck wannabe1 .

do you think it is anything to do with MS Office installation? I was thinking to follow http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's see if it will run a "Detect and Repair" before you try the uninstallation.

Open "Add or Remove Programs" from Control Panel. Click on your Office 2007 program and choose "Change". Click "Repair" then "Continue".

Reboot after the repair has completed.

Any luck?

mgr_classmates

mgr_classmates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Let's see if it will run a "Detect and Repair" before you try the uninstallation.

already tried but no luck. program terminates or terminates with Microsoft send error message.

when I click on Change, it brings the "please wait screen while ..." then it disapears and thats it.

Regards

Edited by mgr_classmates, 26 May 2008 - 12:37 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Then the next logical step is the one you mentioned...a manual uninstall.

I'm assuming you have the disk to reinstall it?

mgr_classmates

mgr_classmates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
yes I will do that. Lets see what happens... do you want me to follow that Microsoft KB or ...?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, use the Microsoft Article...it's the best guide around for this procedure.

mgr_classmates

mgr_classmates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Good News mate, I have got the Office Icons back atleast ... but many other applicatiosn still showing the default EXE icon. is there not something that can be used to reattach the default icon links?

obviously the appearance looks so crap and you do not know which icon is which application with out reading the text.

Edited by mgr_classmates, 26 May 2008 - 02:05 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great!

Let's see if the linkfile associations are aff a bit.

Download the attached file and save it to the desktop just as you did the last one. Extract it to the desktop, double click on it, and say yes.

Reboot and see if the icons return to what they should be.

Attached File  linkfile_fix.zip   885bytes   410 downloads