Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Auxilliary Graphics Power

• Please log in to reply

sewildman50

sewildman50

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
In a way I hope the answer is this simple but there's a part of me that hopes not because it means I have overlooked an obvious step that was clearly stated in my motherboard manual.

My video card (xfx geforce 880gt) requires a power supply to be connected directly to the card. However, my motherboard also has a power connection called Auxilliary Power for Graphics (PWR3). It is also called "AUX PEX Power connector" on the mobo diagram.

Long story short (which I shall make longer if this is not the solution) is it necessary that I have power supplied to the auxilliary power for graphics connector on the motherboard, in order for me to get video?

I have assembled this computer twice already and this is the only thing I can think of that could be the problem, other than a dead video card.

Reason I'm asking in this forum instead of just doing it is that I am at work and I'd like to know out of curiosity before I leave.

Mobo is XFX nForce 860i LT
Video Card is XFX GeForce 8800 GT

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Good rule of thumb, is that if there's a power connector on any piece of hardware, you put a power plug that matches it in.

So to answer your question, yes you should have a power plug plugged into it.

*EDIT* -- That power plug is mainly used to power the SLi when two video cards are attached, but I only have one Video Card now (used to have two 7800GT's) and haven't had a problem.

Edited by Fenor, 26 May 2008 - 11:52 AM.

sewildman50

sewildman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Yes I was hoping/fearing that would be the case.

Thanks for your quick reply.

I will post back with results when I get home.

sewildman50

sewildman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Well, it didn't work. The plot thickens. I'm going to make a new post that will include all of the relevant information.

Thanks again for the help.