Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP 32bit on 64bit processor - problem

• Please log in to reply

Donnis

Donnis

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello,

I have a parallel installation of WIndows XP Pro 32bit on my Toshiba Satellite A215 with AMD Turion 64x2 processor. The first operating system is Windows XP Pro 64bit... and with it everything works perfect, but under XP 32bit the mouse coursor freezes each 4 seconds for about 0,5 seconds and it's pretty disturbing, because this interruption is of course happening also when a program runs... I have to mention that I have an integrated ATI Radeon X1200 graphic card. The graph of system load (which can be seen in task manager) indicates indeed a very high processor load when the mouse freezes...
Can anybody give me an advice on how to solve this problem?

Thank you very much in advance!

Donnis

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Is it a Logitech mouse by chance?

Donnis

Donnis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
No, in fact I'm using only the mouse pad (touch pad) of my laptop...

Donnis

Donnis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
CPU_Usage_x32.JPG Here a screenshot of the CPU_usage (task manager)...

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try installing/reinstalling the software for the touchpad.

Donnis

Donnis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Try installing/reinstalling the software for the touchpad.

I tried to install the drivers for the touchpad, but no change at all, the freezing problem is still there :)

What can I try now? It's pretty disturbing, I'm almost not able to work on my laptop because of this problem...

Thanks in advance.

Donnis

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can disable the touchpad in Device Manager and then just plug in a normal USB mouse. Try that and see if the freezing no longer occurs. Of course plug the USB mouse in before disabling the Touchpad so that you can be certain that the USB mouse is working beforehand.

Donnis

Donnis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm happy, I've solved my problem!
The freezing problem was caused by the "hotkey.exe" process which every 3-4 seconds has increased the CPU load from 0-1% to 35%! I have just uninstalled the hotkey utility and now everything is working great!

Thanks for all your help!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad you figured it out! :)