Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very slow laptop! Help desp needed!

• Please log in to reply

jodaw84

jodaw84

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi i have a problem with my father in laws laptop. Everything is slow on it, start up and shutdown takes around 10 mins starting programmes takes around 5 minutes and connecting to the net takes around 5 minutes also. Can anyone help me please! It been like this for about a year and is very frustrating.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Lack of memory most likely.
To find out how much memory you have in your laptop, boot it up, go to the Start Menu, right-click My Computer -> Properties.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
there can be a lot of things causing this problem. If you have enough memory and the computer is still slow. Your computer might be infected w/ virus.

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
hey Jodaw,

Welcome to the GeeksToGo Forum Boards.

Your symptoms have a few possibilities. I suggest you create a HiJackThis Log and post the log in the Malware/HiJackThis Log forum so someone qualified can examine your computer.