Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Suck

• Please log in to reply

tiptopfunnyman

tiptopfunnyman

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I am running a Windows 2000 Server and I am having an issue with the graphics. I know with older model computers, graphics run on 16 colors, which make websites and images look terrible. I am trying to change the graphics to 32 bit, but I dont know how. I have a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200. I have the newest forceware and driver installed. I have SP4 for Win2K installed. When I boot the computer it says that a driver or device failed to start. When I check the hardware it has an ! by the graphics card.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Kazzoo

Kazzoo

Visiting Consultant

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Greetings tiptopfunnyman

When you say

I have the newest forceware and driver installed

Are you installing this one?

ForceWare Release 90
Version: 93.71 WHQL
Release Date: November 2, 2006
Operating System: Windows 2000, XP, Media Center Edition
Language: U.S. English

If you get no success, verify that if there is a on board graphic to your motherboard that it is disabled in bios and you have selected to use your card as the primary video to your system. This depends on your features of your motherboards bios if it allows such configuration.
You can do the research on your own motherboard features if you dont know what it has.

Try the onboard video if so equipted and see if you get the same errors. Obviously removing the fx card first and enabling the proper entries in the bios.

If still no success, try another known good video card and install its drivers. Making note to change the appropriate entries in the Bios. If no success, then you may have a problem with the motherboard.

Mind you didnt say if it worked previously and now has shown up as a problem, or if this is a fresh install and cant get "This card" to work properly.

Check to see if you got all of the mainboard drivers in as well and any updates the manufacturer may have addressing any video issues.

Good luck

Kaz.

tiptopfunnyman

tiptopfunnyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Okay, Well I'll try what you suggested, and thanks for the help so far.
This post should be considered as additional information.
And yes, that is the forceware I have.

The graphics card does work. I have it in now and I am using it. It used to be in a Dell that is fairly newer than this computer. The graphics card I had in here before (an old model Nvidia) worked as well, but the graphics were crappy. Let me define crappy. First off, everything is in 16 bit graphics. It looks terrible and images look even worse. The motherboard is working probably and so are all PCI slots.

In a nut shell, all I am trying to do, is get 32 bit graphics, but the choice is not listed when I go to change the quality.