Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old laptop might be dead? Can't start, get bluescreen. Help pleas

• Please log in to reply

nick_mi

nick_mi

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
I have a dell inspiron 1000, I bought it about 4 years ago, it seems to be on it's last leg.

Over the past month I've been having some troubles with my computer, sometimes it would freeze up and a simple program such as aim or msn messenger or something would eat up ~95% of my resources and I would have to soft reset. A couple of times I have gotten the screen I am about to show you, but if I just kept restarting it, it eventually went away. Now it won't go away. Any help would be lovely, I can't afford to buy a new laptop at the moment, and I am an internet junkie. I am on my dads PC right now so I will be around and able to help.

Also, I tried booting into safe mode and I got this screen as well.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also, for the record, I didn't add any hardware lately like it says

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello nick_mi...

This may very well end up being a failed hard drive, but let's try a couple of things.

Boot from the Windows XP installation CD.

At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R to start Recovery Console. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter".

When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". (Note the space before /r) The disk check operation will start.

This will be a very thorough check of the hard drive and the file system...be patient and let it complete. It may appear to hang or even back up a few times...this is normal. 60 to 90 minutes is not unusual for this check...it may take longer in some cases.

Once the check completes and you are back at the command prompt, type exit and press "Enter". Let your computer boot normally to Windows.

Let me know how you fare with this.

wannabe1

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Chkdsk found and fixed one or more errors on the volume.
39045980 kilobytes total diskspace
25645388 kilobytes available.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit
9761485 total allocation units on disk
6411347 allocation units available on disk.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
From Live Chat:

[19:53] <Nick_mi> YES
[19:53] <Nick_mi> IT WORKS

[19:57] <wannabe1> Glad that worked for you Nick_mi

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech