Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD and shutdowns

• Please log in to reply

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
I have gotten the system cleaned of all Malware which I thought was giving me problems with the machine shutting down, it was also thought it was a driver issue with the display drivers, I go into safe mode and uninstall the drivers then they reinstall themselves upon reboot. Once I reboot the system, it suddenly shuts down after the Display Drivers reinstall. Here is the original thread where the issue is described in detail:

http://www.geekstogo...ns-t198629.html

Also, I am now be getting the BSOD when I reboot. The machine starts the shut down process, then the blue screen pops up and I have to turn it off at the back of the tower. This is a new development. Here is the information from the BSOD:

Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

Technical Info:

***Stop: 0x00000050 (0VF66CB4BC, 0X00000000, 0X8056E2EA, 0X00000002)

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
From the looks of it from checking your other threads, you installed a new video card driver towards the end of your Malware topic. I suggest you uninstall everything relating to ATI in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS. After that is done and you have rebooted your computer, download Driver Cleaner Pro and install and run it and have it remove everything related to ATI from your system. After that is done, reboot your computer and then download and install the newest ATI Drivers for your video card. Once it's downloaded, install it and then reboot at the end when prompted. Reboot even if you are not prompted to do so. Once rebooted, restart your computer again and see if the BSOD still appears.

Fenor

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
I'll give that a shot, thanks! I'll post what the results are :)

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
I did each step as reccomended and during the installation of the ATI Drivers I am getting a message saying:

Setup was unable to complete the installation
Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup.

What does this mean?

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
I restarted the whole process from step one and the drivers installed just fine, it may have had issues because I still had a browser open while I was installing...... When I restarted I got the BSOD again, GGRRRRR... BUT on the upside the scroll wheel is working quite nicely :)

Now, why the heck am I getting the BSOD upon a restart or shutdown?
Edit 1:
OK, I looked up the stop codes, they were driver issues for the following 2 items:

Realtek RT8139/810X Family Fast Ethernet NIC

and

MAC Bridge miniport

I looked them both up and determined that I don't need the MAC bridge since the machine is not connected to any other machines, so I *gulp* deleted it.

The Realtek doodad I left but updated the driver.

I have "Driver Doctor" on my machine and ran it, it was what told me that the problems were with those two programs. If I have goofed up somewhere please let me know. I'm going to restart and see what happens. Wish me luck.
********************************************************************************
Edit 2:
Now I have some weird Modem On Hold Utility.... on my task bar I can't make it go away, how do I get rid of the Modem On Hold deal and where the heck would that have even come from??? Am I the only one here who hates computers??

Edited by ColtsFan18, 01 June 2008 - 06:53 PM.