Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with second ever build

• Please log in to reply

sewildman50

sewildman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
OK, so I received my replacement motherboard from XFX today. Exactly the same model as originally listed.

Guess what? Exactly the same result.

I got everything hooked up, fired it up and it worked. I went into BIOS, then left the PC and cleaned up a few things. I came back to the computer about two or three minutes later, put the side panel back on and move the tower to the floor.

I go back to start working in the BIOS and my keyboard is not working. After ensuring that the KB was connected properly, I figured that the system had frozen or something. I hit the reset button....no video...again. I turn the power off, power it back up again...no video. I try a different monitor...no video.

This is two motherboards now with exactly the same issue. I'm thinking to myself, what are the odds. I'm wondering if there is some compatibility issue with the processor or something. I can't think of anything else.

Given that the same issue is occurring with two separate motherboards, is there any possible problem that becomes more clear? Of course, other than the fact that the mobo is just crap.

Advertisements

sewildman50

sewildman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Update

I took the power supply out and and tried it and my VGA cable with DVI adapter in two of my other computers. They both worked both times.

So I've now ruled out:

PSU
RAM
Video Card
Video Cable (VGA with DVI adapter)

The only wild cards here appear to be the mobo and processor.

For the first XFX motherboard I received, it was reasoned (and accepted by XFX) that since the hard drive and DVD drive were both heard to be firing up when I started up the machine (and didn't with the processor out) that the processor was not the likely culprit. Is this faulty reasoning?

Honestly, does anyone have any other ideas?

sewildman50

sewildman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Problem solved.

Here's the detailed info on how I accomplished it.

I went to my local computer store and purchased an Asus P5N-D motherboard. It fired right up on the first try.

New rule: Don't buy XFX motherboards...ever.