Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Supply Buzzing & Humming Noise

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hello everyone,

I purchased this power supply a couple of days ago to replace a no name 450watt "Deer" brand psu I had in my system for over 2 years:

Enermax FMA II DXX EG465P-VE 460W V2.2 2Fan 20/24P 2x6P RoHS ATX PS

Posted Image

Product Info: http://www.canadacom...d...&cid=PS.808

I've been hearing a faint humming sound from inside my pc case since the moment I turned my pc on with the new psu installed. I know for a fact that it's got to be from my new psu because it wasn't there before. It's such a low noise but so present that it's driving me insane. I feel like I'm the victim in that old poem by Edgar Alan Poe going mad over repeated annoying sounds I can't control. I'm going insane here! So much so that I'm actually going to take this psu back to the store this week if I can't find a logical explanation as to why this new psu would do this fresh out the box. Could it be the fact that the psu has two fans? Anyways I actually made a new choice for a different psu which I hope doesn't suffer from a similar humming sound:

Antec EA-500 500W ATX12V V2.0 PSU 80mm Fan 80PLUS ROHS Power Supply

Posted Image

Product Info: http://www.canadacom...d...&cid=PS.808

My new choice above is actually 80 Plus Certified so it's better for the earth and my electrical bill. I have no idea if it's an all out better choice than the Enermax I have now... Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way? I personally just don't want to risk this humming sound being some sort of defect leading to more problems down the line such as complete psu failure.

What do you guys/girls think?

- Thank You

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The humming noise is probably the internal fan spinning. Some PSUs are noisier than others. My first PSU fan was so noisy that when I switched it out for a quieter one I first thought it wasn't working at all. Two fans probably don't help, but also don't forget, if your computer is under the desk the noise tends to get magnified.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
you could also check to make sure everything is attached real well ( screwed down or what ever ) as it could be an oscilation set in the case causing something to vibrate a bit....

oh and bigger fans tend to be less noisy...

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I found out what it is. It's the fact that it has dual fans. I'm taking it back tomorrow... The sound is utterly annoying... I reattached my old no name psu and the sound is gone.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
glad you got it sorted...