Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with iTunes - My Music folder not recognized...and iTunes won&

• Please log in to reply

LeilaB

LeilaB

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks in advance for your help with this - I'm unable to play music and sync my ipods and I'm stressed out :)

I recently purchased an external HD b/c my computer didn't have enough space for all of my music and documents. Plus, a recent crash had me thinking about backup.

On Saturday I tried to load iTunes; it didn't open, and presented me with "The folder iTunes can not be found or created, and is required. The default location for this folder is inside the "My Music" folder."

Now, when I moved all of my music onto the external HD, I am sure I cut and pasted it. For about 2 weeks it's been fine, so I'm not sure why all of a sudden it's now realizing that the folder was moved and deleted. I tried to create a new "My Music" folder with an iTunes folder inside of it, but the computer undoubtedly realizes that it's not the right kind of folder...or something.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes without success; I also went on the iTunes support page and, following the prompts, downloaded Tweak UI, which doesn't recognize my new "My Music" folder as a "special folder" and doesn't list it in the drop down menu.

I went so far as to move all of my documents/files onto the external HD with the thought of reinstalling windows - however, I have updated windows since then and I'm not sure if this is really the way to go - the reboot disk didn't make it easy for me to do this either.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

ETA: I see that other people have had similar problems but I haven't seen a post explaining a resolution. If there is one out there, please let me know :) thx

Edited by LeilaB, 27 May 2008 - 05:57 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
its a pain, to put it simply.

Launch itunes, then Edit and Preferences.

Go to the advanced tab and look under "general" to see where its pointed to your music folder location> D:\itunes

LeilaB

LeilaB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks, but the problem was that itunes wouldn't open. I ended up figuring out a solution.

My entire "My Music" folder had been moved to the external HD; I ended up moving (not copying) the entire thing back to my regular hard drive, then copying the folder back to the external one. At that point I was able to use Tweak UI to find the "My Music" folder (which was set to the external drive) and reset it it to the c:\drive.

At one point the folder renamed itself to a shared folder, which was strange, but in the end, itunes reopened, so I was happy. I then deleted the music in the "My Music" folder but kept the folder and the "itunes" folder located inside of it (that seemed to be itunes issue in the first place).

It was annoying but it worked!