Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless adaptor problem

• Please log in to reply

dan7brit

dan7brit

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi, I wonder if someone could help me? Bear with me as I explain the problem.

I have a wireless router (ZyXEL nbg334w), a Belkin 802.11g network adaptor (internal wireless card), and an internal modem. I am sharing a LAN home network with a house mate (he has a laptop and no connectivity problems)

During the setting up of my router I have encountered problems, where now the wireless adaptor and LAN informs me that I am disconnected (i used my computer to set the network up)! I have tried to repair with windows but it replies 'problem cannot connect'. I have checked to see that the wireless card and LAN are on 'DNS and IP address automatic' and they are. When I ping the adaptor and command prompt (Ipcofig/ release and ipconfig/renew) all I get is LAN and adaptor disconnected.

When I set up the router I employed the set-up disc and went through wizard set-up. I named my SSID and enabled WPA-PSK security and received an encryption self-generating key to do so. I have even turned off my computer's firewall (Zonealarm) and checked to see that it is not blocking access to the internet - which itl seems it is not.

I had no problems with wireless connectivity prior to configuring the router, but was worried about people 'piggy backing' onto my wireless conncetion, so configured the security on the router.

HELP! I am at my wits end

Advertisements

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
From your computer, are you planning on connecting wirelessly or wired? Whichever one you decide to go with, disable the other to prevent confusion. If you're planning on using wireless and you've set up the router with a wired cable, then once you're comlpetely finished with the router, remove the cable, disable the wired card, and reboot your computer. If the wired connection is set up properly, it should connect. If not, please post after doing the above. Good luck.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
fawoodward, hope you don't mind. :)

Hi dan7brit,

I agree with fawoodward's suggestion of disabling/removing all other connections you don't need. Though sometimes unnecessary to do, it does simplify the scenario.

You might also want to post here an ipconfig/all as it might help us diagnose the problem.

EDIT: removed annoying content
*man, I'm bored...and hungry... :)

Edited by ditrackster, 28 May 2008 - 02:52 AM.

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi, I have copied the ipconfig\all below: I have also used ping 127.0.0.1 (internal loopback test) and that was OK. But when I used ping for teh router address is came back -"unreachable" - TCP/IP no IP routes.
It seems that it is a configuration problem but I am to a loss to have to rectify it!

WINS IP CONFIG

Host……………. Dan7brit

Primary DNS Suffix……… (NOTHING / BLANK)

Node Type.…… BROADCAST

IP Routing Enabled……… NO

Wins Proxy Enabled…….. NO

ETHERNET ADAPTER WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION

Media State……………. Disconnected

Description……… Belkin 802.11g

Physical Address…… 00-11-50-F6 -72-35

ETHERNET ADAPTER LOCAL AREA CONNECTION

Media State……………. Disconnected

Description……… Rhine II ethernet

Physical Address…… 00-OC-76-3A -97-82

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
oh, by the way it is a wireless connection I am hoping to use.

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Just hooked up my PC with the router by wire. Lo and behold I can connect to the net. I guess that the problem lies with the configuration of the wireless card? Any advice or assistance is welcome

ps I want a wireless connection. Saves having wires everywhere!

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Did you install the wireless management software that came with your wireless card?

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
yes, that has been installed for a while. I recently moved house and had to change routers. Since then no wireless connection! It was working Ok before. I have deleted the old wireless card -router connection so to avoid conflicts, but now no wireless connection! The card is still being recognised by windows (through my computer -hardware) andf everything seems to be enabled that needs to be, but no connectivity... Unless I connect by wire...ah! it is driving me mad.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
First off I'd disable all the security settings on the router and make it as basic as you can to eliminate any of that being an issue. Then run the wireless card software and see if it can see the wireless router.

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
One concern I have with that is, if it is the security settings (wpa-psk) on the router, then changing to an unsecure wireless router will allow people to 'piggy back' on the router signal and possibly infect my and my house mate's computer.

Advertisements

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
No no I understand that, I'm just saying disable it for now, until we can figure out what's preventing you from connecting wirelessly. I don't mean permanently :)

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Changed setting to no security on the router. Attempted to repair the wireless connection - auto reply was "problem connecting to the internet". Used the wire connection when on "non-secure" router and had no problems connecting to the net.
It seems that the wireless card is not configured to the router???

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Yes, that's what we're trying to work with :) OK let's just start from scratch. I'd suggest uninstalling your wireless software and network card from add/remove programs and the device manager. Reboot and install the wireless software that came with your card. Then reboot again and see if the wireless software sees your router - set your router to broadcast for now. We can change that back later.

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Going to have to give me some time with that -need to find my wireless card disc! It seems to have disappeared since my move. Hopefully get back to you some time after the weekend

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Just to let everybody know: I managed to get into the Belkin wireless (card) utility / settings. I noticed that the network was open / disabled without an encryption (SSID) key. I set the SSID as assigned by the router, then I set it up and enabled security (WPA-PSK). Guess what! no, that never worked either :) - Worth a try.

I will continue with what you said FAwoodward and uninstall and reinstall the wireless card disc (when I find it).