Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Comparison

• Please log in to reply

mlmeyer1

mlmeyer1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Dell Latitude D600 and am looking to add 1GB of ram to the 256MB of RAM that I already have. When searching for RAM I see that the Dell website has it for $379.00 while I can find it other places for much cheaper (about $150 cheaper).

The RAM I need (according to Dell website) is 1GB SDRAM PC2100. My question is if I find these same specs listed somewhere else can I assume it will work as well as the RAM from Dell or am I missing some other spec here that I should pay attention to? Does all PC2100 RAM = 266MHZ? Just wondering why there is a big price difference.

Also, once I get the RAM does it matter if the 1GB goes into memory slot 1 or 2? In other words do you put the larger memory in a certain slot or does that not really matter?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Could only find it 180 cheaper, sorry

Memory

Largest module 1st

Edited by Keith, 27 April 2005 - 09:00 AM.

mlmeyer1

mlmeyer1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
So are the specs pretty standard? Is all PC2100 RAM equal to 266MHZ. Just want to make sure I am not missing a speed variable when I shop for RAM?