Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't burn CD

• Please log in to reply

b. cripps

b. cripps

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi Geeks…

Have a Dell with the provided Sony CDRWDVD CRX310EE CD Drive. It’s been working fine burning files with Roxio, photos and word documents. I put a CD-RW disc in a couple of days ago and got “E is not accessible. Incorrect function.” When I bring up Roxio it says “Media not formatted” When I hit format I get “Waiting for device, may be disconnected or in use by another program” or “Device not available.”

After looking here I used Device Manager to uninstall the driver and rebooted. Also tried to remove upper and lower limits. There was no upper but I did remove the lower limit.

Anything further I can try???

As always… many thanks for your perseverance.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi b. cripps!

Let's have you uninstall the DVD-Drive and then have you reboot and let windows reinstall the drivers for it. To do this, do the following:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc
  • In the new window that appears, click the + symbol next to CD/DVD-ROM Drives.
  • Locate the drive in question and right-click it and choose UNINSTALL.
  • Once it's finishing uninstalling, reboot your computer.
Once it's rebooted, try putting a DVD in it again and see if the same thing happens.

----------------------------

If after rebooting you are still having problems, try the following:

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

If after doing that your drive still doesn't show up, please download CDGone from HERE. Once it's downloaded, extract the files to your desktop and open the READ ME FIRST.TXT file and follow the instructions there.

Post back with how things are going after doing the above

I know you've tried the first two things listed above, but go ahead and do them anyways, but the third option, the one about using the program CDGone is one that you haven't tried yet. Hopefully that works for you!

Fenor

b. cripps

b. cripps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey Fenor... thanks for hopping onto my wagon!

I repeated steps one and two above to no avail. I have also downloaded cdgone and made the change to the registry before merging cdgone. Unfortunately this did not solve the problem. When I put a blank CD-RW into the drive I still get the message "E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function." I have tried a couple of different discs so I would be surprised if it is a problem with the CD itself. If I put a CD in the tray that has files on it, the drive reads them fine and I can open my word and excel files.

Anything further you might suggest would sure be appreciated.

BC

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Sony drives are notorious for not working the way they should. Can you take the drive out and put it in another computer and see if you get the same problem?

b. cripps

b. cripps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Good old Sony!!!

I only have the one desk computer... that and a laptop.

Sorry,
BC

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Uninstall everything related to Roxio in ADD/REMOVE Programs in the Control Panel and then reboot your computer and see if you can burn a CD using XP's built in CD-burning capability without receiving any errors.

Edited by Fenor, 28 May 2008 - 07:46 AM.

b. cripps

b. cripps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok... Roxio is gone. Did a search after rebooting and deleted some left over Roxio files. Still can't burn to CD. Checked the CD in the laptop and it is fine. Appreciate your efforts here, Fenor, but it's beginning to sound like a hardware problem. Computer is less than two years old!

Once again... any other suggestions are appreciated.
BC

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Open MY COMPUTER and right-click the drive-in-question and choose PROPERTIES. In the new window that appears, click on the PROPERTIES tab and check the box next to "Enable CD Recording on this drive" and click OK. Reboot your computer and try burning to it again.

Edited by Fenor, 28 May 2008 - 08:42 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Computer is less than two years old!

When I used to do alot of burning, I went through a CD Burner every 6 months. They do die out after extended use, so depending on how much you've used it, it definitely could be just wear-and-tear that has caused these problems.

If/When you do get another one, make sure it's either a Plextor or an NEC drive (Pioneer isn't bad either but they are pricey), since they are the most reliable and they work in any machine, unlike some CD/DVD drive makers. *cough* Sony *cough* :)

b. cripps

b. cripps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
When I choose PROPERTIES after right clicking the CD drive I can't see a PROPERTIES TAB. The tabs I do see are: GENERAL, AUTOPLAY, HARDWARE, SHARING. I've looked through all these and nowhere do I see ENABLE CD RECORDING.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Is there a blank CD in the drive right now? If so remove it.

Do you have more then one CD-ROM drive in your computer? If so, make sure you are selecting the right one.

b. cripps

b. cripps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
No CD in tray. And I can't find ENABLE CD RECORDING. Just turned on my laptop (also with XP Home), for comparison. I get the above mentioned tabs plus an extra one: RECORDING. Under that tab I see "Enable CD recording on this drive". Any ideas???

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
The Sony drive isn't being recognized as a CD Burner. Now that Roxio is uninstalled, uninstall the CD-Rom drive again in Device Manager (START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc) and reboot your computer and check its Properities again for the Recording tab.

b. cripps

b. cripps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Nope! Didn't make a difference...

Time for a break. It's lunchtime here in North Florida. I'll get back to you in a bit.

Thanks for your patience, Fenor.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Enjoy your lunch. Another 30 mins before my shackles are broken for lunch release. :)

I'm figuring since the drive is two years old that your computer is under no kind of warranty anymore, so that if we messed with the cables and settings of the drive that no type of warranty would be voided. That being said, then next thing I would like you to do, if you feel comfortable doing it, is taking the side panel off the side of your computer and finding out a couple things:
  • First, how many items are attached to the IDE cable (the thin/flat cable that is going from your motherboard to your CD-ROM drive). Is the cable just attached to your CD-ROM drive or is there another item that the ribbon coming from the motherboard is attached to?
  • Second, what is the jumper setting of the CD-ROM drive (and the other CD/DVD Rom or Hard drive if one is attached to the same IDE cable)?
Get back to me with that information when you get the chance.

Edited by Fenor, 28 May 2008 - 10:33 AM.