Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up D-Link DSL-D604T Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply

morgster93

morgster93

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I currently have my computer running on the internet via my Speedtouch 330 USB ADSL Modem or Router, i dont know what it is to be honest. Know I want to go wireless and use my D-Link DSL-G604T BUT HOW DO I CONNECT AND SET IT UP ? ? :)

Do I take out all the speedtouch ADSL filters I already have connected up, or do i keep them? PLEASE HELP ME! I'm Running Windows XP and my ISP is Tiscali. :)

Thanks,

Morgan

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
First, welcome to Geeks-To-Go :)

Secondly, all you should have to do is take out your old modem and pop in the new one. You will need to leave the filters on. Once you have the modem in place, you will need to go into the Administration menu and setup PPPoE so you will need your username and password for your ISP. Keep in mind that all of this should be done via a wired connection (Cat5 Ethernet Cable) hooked directly to the modem. Then, once you have that setup and working (you should have internet access at this point), you should go in and secure your wireless network. If you need help with that or if you have any questions or issues, let me know :)

morgster93

morgster93

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry, where you have said:

"you will need to go into the Administration menu and setup PPPoE"

How do i get to this menu?

Thanks

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Typically, you will open a web brower and type in something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 . Check the documentation that came with the router, it should explain how to access it.

morgster93

morgster93

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yes it says 192.168.1.1

so i plug in the new router, and go to this address?

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
That should give you access to the administration console, yes. Make sure that you hook up to the router with a ethernet cable also.

morgster93

morgster93

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:) Thanks very much, I have now got it up and running and using my laptop wirelessly!

Thanks again,

Morgan

Sorry for all the queries, its jst im only 15 and have never set up an internet connection before. :)

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
It's no problem. Just make sure that you secure your wireless connection to at least WPA. If you need help with that, just let me know.

morgster93

morgster93

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No ive set up a WEP key so should be secure :)

Thanks for your time and now my question has been answered this topic can be closed.

Thanks.

Posted Image

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
WEP is not secure unfortunately, I highly recommend that you use WPA-PSK. But the choice is yours :)

georgejosef655

georgejosef655

• Pip
  • 1 posts

you have to open a web brower and type in  192.168.0.1 type user name and password and get start settings up the router for more help and information visit http://goo.gl/2qtNJZ and i hope this may solve your problem.