Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

When I scan the computer with Ad Aware, or Avg free edition or Actives

• Please log in to reply

newnoi

newnoi

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
After uninstalling the Kasperski Antivirus, I started with problems.
I installed AVG free edition 8.0, and Ad-Aware, and I try to scan for virus and malware. the scan detect some threads but before finishing, stop and shows that the application got an error, and it should be ended.
According your instructions for getting help:
I passed the ATF cleaner and it freed 1025652MBs
When I scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware appears the following message:
The instruction at "0x1004ea61" referenced memory at "0x0580000".the required data was not placed into memory because of an I/o error status of "0xc000009c".
click OK terminate program.
Click CANCEL to debug program
I click cancel and the scan continue, and appears the message:
No malicious item was detected, click "Main menu"

Then I passed Superantispyware, and after rebooting the computer, it appears:
SMART Faillure predicted on hard disk 0: OI25N060ATMR04-0(PM)1720-S.M.A.R.T. Hard drive detects imminent faillure(Failing Attr:05h). Please back up contents of the hard drive and run HDD self test in f2 setup.
Press F1 to continue, and the windows is setting correctly

Then I passed the activescan 2 from Pando and detect 5 files infected, and 2 vulnerabilities.
during the scan appears again the message:
Avgrsx.exe. Aplication error
The instruction at"0x00555dcc" referenced memory at"0x04238a05". The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of "0x000009c"
Click OK to terminate the program
Click CANCEL to debug the program, and I click CANCEL
at the end Pando tells that only will disinfect it by paying. I disagree, because my experience with Pando was really bad.
I tried to tune up my HDD with CHKDSK of windows but no improvement
I Hijackthis but the log file was very normal, like the uninstall log

Conclusion
Now always when I boot the computer appears the S.M.A.R.T. message about problems of HDD, and frequenly the message about I/O error status of "0x000009c"
I don't know if it is a HDD problem or a soft problem.

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions

Best regards

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello newnoi...

Sometimes the problems you are having is caused by a failing hard drive, sometimes it's caused by bad sectors or corrupt data on the drive that's critical to the Windows startup routine.

I tried to tune up my HDD with CHKDSK of windows but no improvement

When you ran this disk check, did you start it from within Windows?

Do you have your XP installation cd?

wannabe1

newnoi

newnoi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello wannabe
Thank you for your prompt reply.
I agree that could be a bad sector or corrupted data.
With F2 I did a Hard drive self test and appears:
test status #1-07 fail, and then the S.M.A.R.T. MESSAGE
Yes I have the XP installation cd with SP1, and the drivers cd.
What do you suggest to do next.
Waiting your comments and suggestions.
Thank you very much for help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hopefully you will be able to run this from your cd...

Boot from the Windows XP installation CD.

At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R to start Recovery Console. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter".

When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

At the prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". (Note the space before /r) The disk check operation will start.

This will be a very thorough check of the hard drive and the file system...be patient and let it complete. It may appear to hang or even back up a few times...this is normal. 60 to 90 minutes is not unusual for this check...it may take longer in some cases.

Once the check completes and you are back at the command prompt, type exit and press "Enter". Let your computer boot normally to Windows.

newnoi

newnoi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thank you for the instructions for recovery my HDD
I followed all the steps, and when it arrived to the 25% shows the message:
The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.
58597052 Kilobytes total disk space
31109832 Kilobytes are available

4096 bytes in each allocation unit
14649263 total allocations units on disk
7777458 allocation units available on disk

after exit and enter the Windows is not booting, with the S.M.A.R.T. Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0 message, trying to reboot again.

What can I do, please?
I suggest to backup the important documents to another PC of my home network in "save mode with networking", and buy a new HDD, and install all again.
What is your opinion about this?
I appreciate very much your comments and suggestions, about what is the best way for solving the problem.
Thank you very much for your help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I was afraid of that...

I suggest to backup the important documents to another PC of my home network in "save mode with networking", and buy a new HDD, and install all again.

I think that's exactly what needs to be done. Unrecoverable Problems usually means that the drive is failing physically. If you continue to work with this drive, you may not be able to get the data off in it's current configuration. The best option, in my opinion, would be to stop using this drive now, get a new drive installed and install the operating system.

Get yourself an external hard drive enclosure and install the old drive in that. You should then be able to access your data via a USB port.

newnoi

newnoi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello wannabe1
Thank you again, and I will backup all my data, and buy a new HDD
best regards