Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Scheduled Tasks won't Run

• Please log in to reply

Dutch60

Dutch60

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Just Reformatted my hard drive & reloaded Windows XP (Home Edition), with Service Pack 2 & 3 & all updates as of May 24/2008. There are only 3 User Accounts: A System Admin which I always sign into, a Guest Account (disabled) & ASP.Net Machine A...

I receive the following Msg when I try to setup a task to be run in Scheduled Tasks (Accessories, System Tools):

"The new task has been created, but may not run because the account information could not be set.
The specific error is:
0x80070005: Access is Denied
Try using the Task Page Browse button to locate the Application."

I setup 2 jobs , 1 using the Browse button as suggested in the error msg ( Job - Adware 2008) & the 2nd job (Disk Cleanup) from the listing provided in Scheduled Tasks. Both jobs are listed in Scheduled Tasks but neither 1 would run at the set time. The screen shows "Could Not Start".

Prior to the reformat & reload of Windows, I used to get the same error msg. when setting up jobs in Scheduled Tasks, but the jobs would run. (IE Adware 2007, Spybot & Diskcleanup). There was only 1 job I could not get to run before & that was Executive Software's Diskeeper.

By the way Service Pack 3 was loaded for the first time when I reformatted my hard drive.

Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 31,673 posts
Is this article any help?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/904423

Dutch60

Dutch60

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Metallica, thanks for your reply. The Microsoft web site you directed me to described my problem to a "Tee". In reviewing the article I noticed that the Hotfix KB904423 was to be included in SP3. I had upgraded to SP3 when I reformatted my drive.
I downloaded the Hotfix anyway & ran the upgrade with the following error msg:

"Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying. There is no need to install this update"

My only option was OK.

I went back into the Microsoft Update site & did a search on KB904423 & found 2 links, the 1 you pointed me to & another from a person who was discussing the exact same problem in a Microsoft Discussion Forum. He had been waiting for the SP3 update to solve his problem, which it didn't. I followed the thread but there appeared to be no solution.

At this point I don't think I will spend anymore time on this problem. The effort isn't worth my time or yours, since I only used Scheduled Tasks to remind me when to run Maintenance type jobs.

Thanks again.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 31,673 posts
I can try and contact a fellow MVP who is more on that side of the field.

Maybe she knows a way to apply the Hotfix or knows what the Hotfix does exactly.
I will reply here if I find out something useful.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 31,673 posts
Hi Dutch60,

The reply I got from my friend. :)

MS posted a workaround for that particular error but they withdrew it after they incorporated the fix into the Service Pack.

WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, add the "Access this computer from the network" permission to the user account that will run the

scheduled task. To do this for the local computer policy, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type Gpedit.msc, and then click OK.
2. Expand the following items in the Local Computer Policy list:
Computer Configuration
Windows Settings
Security Settings
Local Policies
3. Click User Rights Assignment.
4. Double-click Access this computer from the network, and then click Add User or Group.
5. Add the new user name or the group name in the Enter the object names to select area.
6. Click Check Names to verify the entries.
7. Click OK two times.

MORE INFORMATION
This problem may also occur when you create a new task and you do not type a password for that task. In this case, you must create a password for your user account if it does not have one, and use that password for any new task you create.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 (http://support.micro....com/kb/824684/) Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates

Dutch60

Dutch60

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Metallica. I tried running Gpedit but I get an error message "Windows can't find Gpedit.msc".

I did a little research on Gpedit & found it is only available in Windows XP Pro Edition. I have Windows XP Home edition. I even did a search for a file named Gpedit on my Windows XP HE Installation Disk without success.

As I said in my last reply, I don't know if the effort is worth the reward. If you have any other ideas let me know.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 31,673 posts
We could try and achieve the same effect by testing if ntrights will work on XP Home, but I'm not even sure if it does.

I'll keep looking for a solution.

Dutch60

Dutch60

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Mettalica, 'ntrights' doesn't work either on XP HE.

The only other thing I can think of is, it might have something to do with the fact that I don't have a Password setup for My User Account which has Admin. Authority. I know I get a message when setting up the job in Scheduled Tasks, 'the new task has been created, but may not run because the User Account information could not be set'. The specific error is '0X80070005 Access is denied'.

Like I mentioned in my earlier comments, I used to get this same error msg before I reformatted/reloaded Windows XP, but the job would run. The only other difference is the inclusion of Service Pack 3.

I have discovered another problem since reformatting:

My system hangs after coming out of Hibernation. It brings me to my main desktop & after about 30-45 seconds my cursor freezes & I have to manually Shut Down & restart. I have given up on this problem also, since I discovered that System Standby serves the same purpose (IE Everything powers down including Disk) & doesn't Freeze/hang when I bring it out of Standby.

I think this Service Pack 3 update may have caused a lot of problems, some of which I may not even be aware of yet.
I am not too concerned about these issues, I just thought you might be interested.

Thanks again for your assistance. Dutch60

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 31,673 posts
There were some known issues with AMD based computers and XP SP3.
More specifically HP computers.

The Scheduled Tasks problem could very well be solved by setting a Administrator password.
Let me know if you try that and it helps.

Dutch60

Dutch60

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Congratulations Metallica, adding a Password to my Admin Account solved all my problems, including the Freezing of the system when coming out of Hibernation.

My system is a 1.6 GHZ, Intel Pentium 4 with an ASUS Motherboard.

The only drawback of this solution is the need to enter a Password whenever I boot the system. At least I'm not asked to enter a Password when I come out of Hibernation (LOL).

Thanks for your persistance in solving my problem. Henk (Dutch).

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 31,673 posts

The only drawback of this solution is the need to enter a Password whenever I boot the system.

Usually relatively easy to solve although not always recommended, for safety reasons.

Click Start > Run > copy&paste the command
Control Userpasswords2
and click OK to execute.

The User accounts window will open up, at the Users tab, there will be a box checked that states "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"
Uncheck that option and you should not get that step the next time you boot.

Pieter (also Dutch :) )