Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

softwarereferral.com/antivirus2008.com [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

marionks

marionks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for the link ... I saved it in my new Malware Removal folder on my desktop. So far, things have been loading fine.
I am trying to follow the preventative steps in your red link ... I'll let you know how far I get ... probably some time tomorrow. I had trouble downloading a service pack, but it's coming through now. Gotta get out now to finish!

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Glad to hear it's all sorted. :)

Keep me posted and holler if you have any questions.

marionks

marionks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Forget what I said about things loading faster ...
After I downloaded the service pack, things are MUCH SLOWER even than before!!! I'll continue to run the preventative maintenance, too. May take a day or two with my schedule this week.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
OK. No real telling untill after all is installed and you have rebooted.

Do try to remember what the last thing was you installed when it went the wrong direction again, though.

marionks

marionks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
It was Windows XP Service Pack 3, which apparently included 3 Security Updates (KB951698, KB951376, KB950762), according to my Add/Remove Programs log. There was a KB number when I installed it, but couldn't find it when I looked at the log. More later.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
OK. Thanks.

marionks

marionks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Pieter -- There is a security update that will not install ... it tried last night automatically at 3AM, and I tried to install it just now. I've looked at Microsoft to see what the problem is, and could not find the error code. Here's the update info:
Security Update for Windows XP (KB899589)
A security issue has been identified in the Client Service for NetWare that could allow an attacker to compromise your Microsoft Windows-based system and gain control over it, if you have installed this service. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Here's the error code info:
Installation Failure

Error Code: 0x8007F06B
Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following resources.

For self-help options:

Frequently Asked Questions
Find Solutions
Windows Update Newsgroup

For assisted support options:

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for issues related to getting updates)

And, yes, I looked at the find solutions, but, no, didn't look at the newsgroup yet ... gotta get to work!

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Copy the text in the Code box below into notepad and save it as wupdate.bat

net stop wuauserv
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll
net start wuauserv

Now close all IE windows and doubleclick the file and you should get prompts notifying you of successfully registering the dll's
Should one of them not be successfull let me know which one(s)

If they were all successful reboot and visit Windows update again.

marionks

marionks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Before I do that -- there was an automatic update installed this morning: Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376-v2) -- would that have taken care of the update I was missing? If not, I'll do what you ask.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
No that was a later one, but did that update go through without problems?

If so, visit Windows upate first and check if anything is waiting. You may have everything you need after all.

Advertisements

marionks

marionks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
It went thru OK, so I'll go back to the Windows Update and proceed from there.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
OK. Keep us posted. :)

marionks

marionks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I got a box saying the DllRegisterServer in wuapi.dll succeeded.
Then I went to Windows Update and got the same KB899589 update failure.
Then I went to the Windows Update newsgroup and found that the Error Code: 0x8007F06B is:
"Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of the system is newer than the update you are applying". Also, today there was someone from Windows online in the newsgroup to show how to stop the autoupdates (which I think was what you were trying to do), then tell the updates to quit showing that we need that particular update, then restart the autoupdates again.
I'm going to do another Windows Update ... should be clear this time, then go on with the remainder of your prevention suggestions until time for the next baseball game!

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
You're doing great. :)

marionks

marionks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
OK, I'm down to Windows Defender ... and PCcillin is blocking it. I've added the site to my approved list, but it still is not allowing it ... I'm going to retry and reboot and see if that helps.