Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows file protection

• Please log in to reply

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I have a computer that when I login it gives me a message that kavo.exe is missing.
I looked in the add remove programs and found nothing to do with this and there are no programs that I did not install on the computer. The computer is used by many people. Many of them use a usb memory stick. I thing that the problem is from that because it was used for months with no problems. Then this error came.

When I hit ok then I get the windows file protection window to insert windows sp2. and that there is a driver that was modified (I cant remember exactly but something like that.) I insert the disk and nothing happens and the window does not respond. I enter task manger and cancel the explorer process then start it again. now the windows file protection Will respond. now if I enter the disk it will update but after reset returns. If I say keep new one then it does the same when I reboot.

Now I went into the msconfig -> startup and there un checked the kavo.exe this is good for about 2-3 resets and then starts again.

I did windows restore to about a month ago and it was good for about 2 weeks.

Does someone have any Idea how to stop this occurrence?

The computer is P4 HT 3Ghz running win xp sp2

Advertisements

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Hello vally

It sounds like you were most likely infected with some malware. I suggest you read this thread and follow as many steps as you can. If that doesn't clear up your problem, please post a HijackThis log in the malware removal section here

vally

vally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
The computer is stand alone. There is no network or internet connected to the computer

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
You said many people that use the computer use usb memory sticks. One of the people could have had an infected file on their usb drive with out knowing it and when they used the flash drive on your computer, the infection gets transfered to your hard drive.

I would still create a thread in the malware section of the forum though. Tell them what your problem is and be sure to tell them the computer with problems isn't connected to the internet, they'll be able to rule out if it's malware related or not :)

Edited by reconman, 28 May 2008 - 02:44 AM.