Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Fixing sister's laptop - am i on the right track?

• Please log in to reply

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hey everyone,
My sister's laptop has been running extremely slowly for over a year now and I'm trying to fix it for her.
On the software side of things, i used anti virus/spyware, ccleaner, uninstalled programs, msconfig etc but that didn't really help..

Then i checked and saw she only has 256MB RAM!! So my plan to make her laptop a lot faster is to replace the RAM with 2*1GB sticks and get compressed air to clean out the dust which has accumulated there for the last 4 years she has been using it.
Is there anything else I should do?
She has a Toshiba Satellite Pro L20 and she has a slow, small hard drive and something like a 1.2GHz single core CPU. Can I replace either of these cheaply and will it make a big difference to the speed? Or will the RAM be a big enough difference?

Dom

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes, 256MB is not enough to run XP properly. I suggest at least 512MB, with a recommendation of at least 1GB. Increasing the memory should help. Replacing the processor on a laptop is pretty much not going to happen since you can't replace it on a laptop as easily as you can on a desktop.

Timotay

Timotay

• Pip
  • 5 posts
may i surgesst using this site, tell you what memory to buy and the slot specification etc.

This site

weirdly, im just about to update my home pc, XP also with only 256mb of ram, (Who build pc that that little ram?!?!?!?!?) grrrr

let me know how it goes, think ill put mine in this afternoon!!

good luck!

Tim

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
My experience has been that if you're looking at getting a new CPU for a laptop you're better off looking at a new laptop.

You also ought to make sure that the mobo will support 2GB RAM.

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

My experience has been that if you're looking at getting a new CPU for a laptop you're better off looking at a new laptop.

You also ought to make sure that the mobo will support 2GB RAM.

Yeah, I checked beforehand and it said it supports 2GB max (2*1GB slots)

Also, the RAM I got was SO-DIMM (for laptops, i think) and made by kingston (well known) so it should work :)

Thanks for all the replies! They've all been very helpful.

One more question - is the RAM situated in the underside of the laptop under the grill-like part (looks like it's for ventilation). I know this bit isn't the fan 'cause that's in a different part..

Timotay

Timotay

• Pip
  • 5 posts
well, depends on your laptop, on my pavilion i have 3 slots on the underside, the one direcly in the middle is the ram, just use trial and error!!!

and mine dose have ventilation slots, not sure why...... :)