Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No Internet after Windows XP Pro reinstall-Please help!

• Please log in to reply

keiramackenzie

keiramackenzie

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Dear forum,

I am sure it has something to do with network ID, or something like that, but I can't remember or find ny articles on it. I have checked the hardware, and softwares, but no conflicts, or missing drivers for the ethernet card etc, so why when I install OEM Win XP Pro onto a machine, does it not connect to the internet, even though it suggests there is a 100 mbps connection, packets receieved, yet no IE!

When I try to open www.google.com I get a 'Cannot open search page' dialogue box up - why is this?

Thank you for all your help.

Keira

Edited by keiramackenzie, 28 May 2008 - 10:08 AM.

Advertisements

Baddie

Baddie

• Pip
  • 7 posts
if you just install windows, and you cant not get on the net generally it is because you might need to load the network drivers to see your network card.

click on start > control panel > system > Hardware> device Manager

look and see if you have and other devices there

if you do then chances are that you need to install the device drives for those items

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I assume that you have a modem, not a router. If I am correct then you have to set your internet connection. That is done in Internet Explorer > tools > internet options > connections > setup. I wizard will open up and you will be able to set the connection. You need your user name and password. If you have any problems you can approach us for guidance or your internet service provider.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

I just had a case where WinXP Home went corrupt on a system that had internet via an ADSL router. Re-installing WinXP gave several strange error messages and the Internet explorer, (nor Outlook Express), was NOT present when everything was finished. The device manager did indicate a network card, (which did allow its drivers to load), but no network connection was present. The Windows screen would start at a logon screen.

To solve the install problem, I had to remove the network card and re-do the install. No error messages and everything was then normal, (IE and OE were installed). Everything then worked fine..

Hope this helps..

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

I just had a case where WinXP Home went corrupt on a system that had internet via an ADSL router. Re-installing WinXP gave several strange error messages and the Internet explorer, (nor Outlook Express), was NOT present when everything was finished. The device manager did indicate a network card, (which did allow its drivers to load), but no network connection was present. The Windows screen would start at a logon screen.

To solve the install problem, I had to remove the network card and re-do the install. No error messages and everything was then normal, (IE and OE were installed). Everything then worked fine..

Hope this helps..