Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Internet Access Gone

• Please log in to reply

Guest_jjsmith_*

Guest_jjsmith_*
Problem:

Cannot Access Internet booted in normal mode (Safe Mode it works). Cannot utilize mmc consoles such as Event Viewer, Disk Management, etc. Windows Firewall, telnet, and other admin services seem to be disabled. Cannot access external media e.x. flash drive

NOTE** Found that when booted into safemode all issues go away.

What Has Been Done:
  • Spybot Search and Destroy in both normal and safemode
  • Adaware SE Personal in both normal and safemode
  • SuperAntiSpyware in both normal and safemode
  • *** NOTE: all spyware scans done with latest definitions as well (Definitions had to be updated in safe mode as connection is refused.)
  • Ping to mit.edu to verify DNS (pinged successfully) *while in normal mode
  • Removed hard drive and scanned with bitdefender online free scan
  • With hard drive still removed defragged drive c (windows installed on drive c)
  • Replaced Hard Drive to find windows would not boot
  • Inserted XP Home media and did a repair install
  • Utilized msconfig to startup in diagnostic mode, removal of services, startup items, etc..
  • Un-installed suspicious programs: Internet Speed Monitor, TZ Connection Booster, Bat (Batco)

I know my way around computers enough to assist in the situation, but this one is just way over my head and any help is great full.

I do have a hijackthis.log ready to be uploaded but wanted to ensure I haven't skipped any steps in the troubleshooting process.

Advertisements

Guest_jjsmith_*

Guest_jjsmith_*
Update:

• netsh winsock reset
  • re-installed network driver

Guest_jjsmith_*

Guest_jjsmith_*
Although I had ruled out the possibility that Norton Internet Protection Center would be blocking all access to the web [beings I utilized msconfig to do a selective startup not loading system.ini, win.ini, system serivces, or startup files.] I was to find it to be the root of the problem.

What bothers me the most is the fact that I shutdown all Norton services manually and via msconfig.

So to my dismay this was a firewall issue from the get go