Cannot Access Internet booted in normal mode (Safe Mode it works). Cannot utilize mmc consoles such as Event Viewer, Disk Management, etc. Windows Firewall, telnet, and other admin services seem to be disabled. Cannot access external media e.x. flash drive
NOTE** Found that when booted into safemode all issues go away.
What Has Been Done:
- Spybot Search and Destroy in both normal and safemode
- Adaware SE Personal in both normal and safemode
- SuperAntiSpyware in both normal and safemode
- *** NOTE: all spyware scans done with latest definitions as well (Definitions had to be updated in safe mode as connection is refused.)
- Ping to mit.edu to verify DNS (pinged successfully) *while in normal mode
- Removed hard drive and scanned with bitdefender online free scan
- With hard drive still removed defragged drive c (windows installed on drive c)
- Replaced Hard Drive to find windows would not boot
- Inserted XP Home media and did a repair install
- Utilized msconfig to startup in diagnostic mode, removal of services, startup items, etc..
- Un-installed suspicious programs: Internet Speed Monitor, TZ Connection Booster, Bat (Batco)
I know my way around computers enough to assist in the situation, but this one is just way over my head and any help is great full.
I do have a hijackthis.log ready to be uploaded but wanted to ensure I haven't skipped any steps in the troubleshooting process.