Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mac cant see/talk to router.

• Please log in to reply

Supernoob

Supernoob

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
This is driving me barmy.

I was away for 2 days, and when i came back, my mac couldn't go online. Having investigated, I've found that my PS3 (wired) and PSP (wireless) can still access the internet via the router. My mac cannot.

If I try accessing the router directly (using the usual default IP address - can't remember it off the top of my head), then the Mac says it can't acces that address/can't see a router.

If I take the ethernet cable from the back of my router, and plug it so that the internet is routed out of the wall, through the modem, and directly into the ethernet port on the mac - the internet magically works.

What the flippin' flip has happened?

I have tried all the obvious turning off the router, mac and modem, and this has done nothing.

It is a linksys wrt54gs router (v5.1, by the way. The firmware seems to be unavailable.) The modem is an NTL modem (cable broadband). I am running OS X Leopard.

Edited by Supernoob, 28 May 2008 - 12:07 PM.

Advertisements

xxdanielxx

xxdanielxx

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
have you tried to flush the dns you can do this by opening the terminal and typing dnscacheutil -flushcache

EX: bash-2.05a$ dnscacheutil -flushcache