Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing OS loader

• Please log in to reply

krism

krism

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi, I am desperate for some help here today. I have searched for help through Google but I always come back here, you guys are great. I pluggged my daughters POS MP3 player into my laptop last night just to add a couple of songs and it would not work. It ended up deleteing everything from the MP3 but said it was full. That is not the problem, I think it may have something to do with the problem though. Today when I started up the laptop it would not go past a blakc screen with the following message: Windows cannot repair tis computer automatically. When I check the problem details it says Missing OS loader.

I tried putting in the recovery disc but I only have a black screen, the disc does not show up.

The computer is a Toshiba Satellite running on Vista

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
your toshiba more than likely does not have a recovery partition on it. If it did have a recovery partition the computer would have asked you if you wanted to recover. Since it did not, you will need to find a Vista DVD so you can load the startup repair tool.

Once loaded, the Startup Repair starts checking for potential problems to see why the system failed to boot by grinding through the following questions: Is the problem a missing or damaged boot configuration file? Is the problem due to missing or damaged system files? Is it due to a missing or damaged driver? An incompatible driver? An incompatible OS update? In all of these cases, if a problem is found, the system will attempt to correct the problem either by restoring a file using a cache of files (for example, a corrupted driver file), using a system restore point, or recreating a database using other data (such as rebuilding a registry hive or the file system). The system will also detect and report a bad hard disk or bad memory, but given that these are hardware issues, you can’t do much to fix them.

How to automatically repair Windows Vista using Startup Repair. Please scroll down a bit and read thoroughly.

http://www.bleepingc...utorial148.html

This should get you going.

SRX660

krism

krism

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thank you for that help, I should have been more clear, It did do the start up repair and after it went through all the options it came back with a message that said it could not automatically repair itself. I found that once I inserted the disk and did an F12 that it would read the recovery disk. I ended up doing the recovery wizard and it worked! I think I have my computer back, albeit, back to its original untouched state, but starting up none the less!! Thank you so much!! Kris

SickSide

SickSide

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have same prob but on my pc the vista disk could not fix it unless im doing something wrong it said the problem could not be fixed automatically. Is there another solution?? or do i have to reinstall everything???