Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Beeps

• Please log in to reply

frankthetank

frankthetank

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello everybody I recently had a problem with my computer it started to make constant beep sounds so I opened the case up and found out the CPU cooler hook was cracked so I went to Tiger Direct to get a new CPU cooler. So I installed the cooler with Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound then I go to boot the computer it makes the beeping noise again and there is no display on my new LCD. So I decide to reset the CMOS then I reboot there is still no display but the beeping stops. But after about 20secs. The computer resets itself again. I also got a Abit IP35 Pro which has POST and the computer resets on C1 so I checked the dictionary of POST and it said the following, "Detect memory Auto-detection of DRAM size, type and ECC & Auto-detection of L2 cache (socket 7 or below)"
I'm not a 100% sure but could it be that the thermal compound is still new and thats why it doesn't work and I've also had problems with this RAM before
I had to throw a stick away. Thank You.

Here are my computer specs.
ABIT IP35 PRO
ZEROtherm CF900 (CPU Cooler)
core 2 duo processor E6850 3.0Ghz
cool max 550 wats.
XFX 8500GT 256 Megabytes
OCZ 800MHZ 1 gigs (timing 4-4-4-15)
SATA Seagate Hard rive 7200 rpm.
ULTRA ATX Grid Case
Sony dvd burner

Edited by frankthetank, 28 May 2008 - 06:40 PM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well you would want to check for dust around the memory and also remove and reseat it ( after checking for dust getting in the slot ) failing that it may be that the system overheated to the point of death and you may need a new cpu and or motherboard.... Also make sure the heatsink and fan on the cpu is seated snug...maybe it didn't get all the way on some clip or something....

also did you clean off the old compound before putting the new on?

frankthetank

frankthetank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Yes I did clean off the old compound that was from my stock cooler and I don't think that the CPU burned because one day my computer was working fine but then when I came to turn it on again it made the beeps. So the fan must of cracked over night and my computer wasn't on. But I'm wondering I have the CPU cooler that has the bracket in the back so the bracket came with some tape on it and I removed it and threw it away. So could it be that my MOBO is shortening cause of the metal that the bracket it's made out of. Also the cooler is nice snug so that can't be the problem. Thank You so much for replying.
Posted Image

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well as I said you could pull the board and eliminate the shorting possibility.... also though the cpu still have burned out... it takes a small fraction of a second for a modern processor to overheat...... Not saying it did as from the look you have a p4 and they are suppose to have thermal protection built in but it still boils down to the reliability of any thermal sensor..... Just saying you can't totally rule out a fried processor.... at least since it is a p4 it 1) has some good thermal protection and 2) with the heat spreader on top it protects the silicon so the die shouldn't be cracked from the heatsink failing...

frankthetank

frankthetank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi I fixed my computer by doing what you told me I assembled the computer outside the case. So I discovered that I put the CPU bracket the wrong way. Now I have another issue is there any way that I could increase my CPU fan speed because my cooler runs at 300 rpm. and the lowest that my motherboard takes before giving error messages is 300 rpm. but the cooler cools the CPU at 300 rpm just fine I just hate the beeps even though I could disable them.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Not quite sure how you can put the heatink on the wrong way round but anyway... :)

According to the specifications of this cooler its designed to speed up when the processor temperature goes up. Around 40 degrees is the magic figure.
To stop the BIOS complaining, go into it and look an option "CPU Fan Fail" or similar.

frankthetank

frankthetank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks for all your help.