Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help please!

• Please log in to reply

Bench1

Bench1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My Automatic Update didn't work right. Someone sent me over here from Spybot website forum. He said somebody will help me here to fix my computer problem. He tried to help me about it and he made my Automatic Update start or turned on but still didn't work right. I tried to update my windows and this is what i got...

High-priority updates
This update can have system-wide effects or address more than one problem. It must be installed separately from other updates.
We recommend you install it and then return to our home page to check if your computer needs other high-priority updates.

Microsoft Windows XP

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)
Typical download size: 66.9 MB , 42 minutes
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is an update to Windows XP that addresses key feedback from our customers and is a cumulative update that includes all previously released updates for Windows XP, including security updates. Windows XP SP3 contains a small number of new updates and should not significantly change the Windows XP experience. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Is this okay to install this SP3? I am not really good about computer, don't know much about computer. I will appreciate if someone will help me out. I used Windows XP SP2, not sure about installing SP3.

Edited by Bench1, 28 May 2008 - 09:34 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Service Packs are always good. They include lots of updates and stuff that you'd only have to download anyway so go ahead with it.

Old Geezer

Old Geezer

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Service Packs are always good. They include lots of updates and stuff that you'd only have to download anyway so go ahead with it.

I don't know how you can give that advice when it is common knowledge that SP3 is causing myriads of problems.

Some are enumerated here.

http://www.vnunet.co.../sp3-woes-mount

Edited by Old Geezer, 29 May 2008 - 06:59 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you have a HP with a AMD PROCESSOR HOLD OFF don't have that...then be sure to set a restore point first...just in case you have any problems

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I have an HP with an AMD at work and SP3 is fine. I installed SP3 on all the work computers with only 1 minor issue ( +/- 25 computers) and it was easily remedied. Some had ASUS motherboards, most were using ATI catalyst drivers, some were running media center, and the only problem was the blue screen on reboot of the HP with AMD - just reset the intelppm registry entry and it was fine.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I don't know how you can give that advice when it is common knowledge that SP3 is causing myriads of problems.

The only problems I've seen with XP SP3 is when the system was already screwed up before SP3 went anywhere near it.
All service packs are prone to cause issues on various computers. It's not the first time a Service Pack for Windows has screwed up computers and it won't be the last either.