Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

video display adapter trouble

• Please log in to reply

setfree75

setfree75

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
:D Oh my goodness...I'm housesitting for my Mom...and she was given a wonderful computer with over 500 mb of memory...but the display can't be adjusted past it's lowest setting, so all the pictures look like xrays. HELP! I've run the troubleshooter with no change, re-installed both the monitor and display adapter drivers, but after re-installing the display adapter and rebooting, I got an error message that said the video display adapter wasn't working and I should possibly re-install its driver..which I've done a few times now. The display adapter is nvidia geforce2 MX/MX400. The BIOS is Award Modular bios v.6.00 PG. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm leaving in 2 days and would love to fix this for my Mom. <_<

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
welcome to GTG
Is this the driver you installed? CLICK HERE
<_<

setfree75

setfree75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey Tazz..yes..this is the driver I installed.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
It does sound like a driver issue. Try cleaning old drivers from the system first using Driver Cleaner, and then install the latest driver.

Driver Cleaner: http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

setfree75

setfree75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
<_< Hey..thanks so much for your quick response. I need to make sure I'm doing everything right. When I re-installed, I made a copy of my hardware profile, started in safe mode, removed my driver, and re-installed...does that sound right?

setfree75

setfree75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Okay...I installed the driver cleaner, and followed all the directions. Afterwards, I was unable to open most of my folders. I had to run system restore...UGH! One thing I have noticed on this silly computer, when you start it...all of the colors are there. Mom has to put in her password to log onto windows, prior to doing this..there are gorgeous colors. As soon as she actually hits enter and goes into windows..the colors are gone. Does this mean anything? I hate to be such a pain..but I'm determined to find an answer to this. Thanks.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Okay...I installed the driver cleaner, and followed all the directions. Afterwards, I was unable to open most of my folders.

Never had that happen before. Maybe we should take a closer look at what is running on your PC. We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log back here with the results.

Click the HijackThis Guide in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.