Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restoring system - will it wipe out my extra HD files?

• Please log in to reply

joliefemme02

joliefemme02

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm not talking about restore points or anything but getting it restored to factory settings, like it would be brand new. All information and files, along with whatever viruses that are destroying my computer, wiped clean from my HD. Now I have a concern about the extra HD I installed in it to give me more space. Is that going to be erased when I restore the computer or will it be left alone and I can transfer the files I want to save to it (without copying them all to a CD)?

I don't have the time to be copying files to CDs so if I can just store them all on my extra HD, that would be a great help. I'm tired of getting bombarded by popup ads and not being able to use my task manager. But I need to make sure that restoring it won't effect my extra HD before I attempt this...

Thanks for any help!

Robin

Advertisements

Kazzoo

Kazzoo

Visiting Consultant

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Greetings jolifemme02

Why not unplug the extra hard drive after you finish moving your files to it? Both power and data cables. Obviously after you shut down of course. Please dont be doing any pulling of cables while the computer is on.

Then you will be 100 percent sure you will not format the extra Hard drive when doing the Restore routine.

After you are done with the format/restore, plug the data cables and power back in.

Good luck

Kaz.

joliefemme02

joliefemme02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks. Not sure about how to unplug the driver. I'd have to get inside the computer, correct? Disconnecting it from the computer won't allow it to lose the data on the HD will it? It's been a while since I installed the driver so I can't remember what went into connecting it. I know it was quite a bit of trouble.

I've finished transferring all the data I want saved. All that's left is to figure out if I can safely restore the system without losing the info on my extra HD.

vectorsss

vectorsss

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Once its unplugged nothing can happen to your files. once you have restored the computer plug the hard drive back in and you'll still have your files.

Yes you'll have to get in the computer.

Its as simple as taking the screws of the back of the computer sliding the side of the computer tower and unplugging the correct hard drive cable and also the power cable from the hard dive

Edited by vectorsss, 28 May 2008 - 10:52 PM.