Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can i boot a computer with xp from another computer with mac osx?

• Please log in to reply

angryhive

angryhive

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello. I have a crappy old laptop with xp installed, which can just about manage to move the mouse cursor without locking up. I also have a macbook with osx tiger installed, which is much faster and better. My question is this. Can i boot the xp laptop using the macbook? So that the xp installation is using the macbooks ram, graphics card, etc. rather than that of the computer it is installed on? I think my question is basically... can i mount the other computer in mac osx so that i can boot from the xp partition on the older computer?

Please, don't ask me why i want to do this, i'll cry. Well, you can if you have better solutions, i suppose.

Thanks for reading!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Not really. You might be able to add memory to the XP machine, all those added updates and programs take more memory. Also clean it of any malware and unused programs, especially the "free" stuff you never used to begin with. Then defragment the disk, which may take a long time, just let it run overnight if need be. You might want to run diagnostics on the hard drive, a failing drive can slow things down.