Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Remote Printing?

• Please log in to reply

t-man

t-man

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Hi,
I just bought the linksys wireless-g printserver to make my HP Laserjet 4100 networked. I was wondering if it would be possible to make it a remote printer as well since I am out of the house a lot. I also have two networks, so in order to print I constantly have to switch the network I am on to print. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone has an idea?

Tyler

Advertisements

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Maybe it's possible with a softwareware like Hamachi (link).
Its free. I've only used it for games though, but I guess it should work.
From http://www.wynia.org...e-with-hamachi/

While the filesharing is cool, the thing that impressed me the most was being able to print to the network printers in my basement (both the laser and the desktop inkjet) from anywhere I'm online. I was able to map the printers as "Remote Laser" and "Remote Inkjet" and can now print to home as easily as I print to anywhere more local. Very cool way to get paper copies of useful articles home without having to drag the paper around.

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Thanks,
I was reading about this program when I realized that I have a VPN as well. Turns out all I have to do is press the print button while connected to the VPN and it works. Thanks for the advice, it really helped.

Tyler

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
That's great. Glad it worked out.