Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive problem

• Please log in to reply

selftaught1

selftaught1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a problem whenever I turn my laptop on the screen goes black and states the my hard drive needs to be checked for errors. It is an Acer TravelMate 240 running on XP Basic. The smart system says that the drive going bad or crashing is imminent. It is running on Fat32 and I heard that NTFS was better. Would changing the file system either eliminate or delay the time I have before it crashes. If not how much time do I have?
One more question: are the hard drives listed on new egg under 100 dollars worth buying? which one?

thanks for any input

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well if you can find out the brand of the hard drive you could get the diagnostic utility from the companies website and run that.... you would probably need to get the one you can put on cd as it sounds like you can't boot that computer.

laptop hard drives are a different animal so I can really give you a good recommendation with full size drives I usually use either western digital or seagate...