Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP failure to boot

• Please log in to reply

anpsi

anpsi

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi All!!!..My notebook is having a problem starting up.....It was working normally until i pressed some button and i shut down several times by pressing the power button instead of shutting down from the start menu .....So i dont know whether it was in the standby position.....today when i started Windows the boot up message popped up and i tried booting with safe mode and under normal mode but no luck....instead its starting all over again and gets stuck with this message....Am sending this message from another PC.....An earliest reply would be highly appreciated.....

Advertisements

anpsi

anpsi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Details of PC:
HP Pavilion, OS - XP SP 2 Intel Celeron Processor

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello anpsi...

Unplug the machine from power, remove the battery, press and hold the power button in for 5 seconds, reinstall the battery, plug it back in, and see if it will start.

wannabe1

anpsi

anpsi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi Wannabe 1!!!..
thnx 4 ur response.....Its not starting still.....didnt work....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'd like to try something using recovery console. Unfortunately the HP Recovery set (If you've made them) doesn't contain it.

Download RC.iso and burn it to a cd as an ISO image. You may need a burning tool like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version for the operating system you'll be creating the disk on. ISO Recorder will add the option "Copy Image to CD" to the right click menu. If you have burning software like Nero that will burn ISO Images, that will work, too.

Burn the RC.iso as an ISO Image to a cd and boot the machine to it just as you would the XP installation cd.

At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R to start Recovery Console. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter".

When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". (Note the space before /r) The disk check operation will start.

This will be a very thorough check of the hard drive and the file system...be patient and let it complete. It may appear to hang or even back up a few times...this is normal. 60 to 90 minutes is not unusual for this check...it may take longer in some cases.

Once the check completes and you are back at the command prompt, type exit and press "Enter". Let your computer boot normally to Windows.

anpsi

anpsi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I made the cd and inserted but the machine is not responding (no welcome set up screen appears).....is it because i made the cd from a PC of Vista OS???....

Edited by anpsi, 04 June 2008 - 09:01 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
RC.iso MUST be burned as an ISO Image. Did you burn the file as such?

Is your CD/DVD drive set as first boot device in BIOS Setup?

When booting to this cd, watch for the prompt to "Press any key to boot from cd" on one of the first boot screens. Press a key when you see the prompt.

anpsi

anpsi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
HI....
I made the cd as per the given instruction and i tried it in this PC,it is working and files by name 1386, WIN51IC and WIN51 are in it.....CD drive is enabled for boot up.....no prompt appears at boot up....wen i turn on the PC Windows screen appears then blue screen just flashes then a blank page with cursor on the top right and finally the page with the messeage "We are sorry for the inconvinience but Windows did not start successfully......"

Edited by anpsi, 05 June 2008 - 12:52 PM.

anpsi

anpsi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi Wannabe

Is there any other way out coz i tried many times its not workin...i tried the hard drive self test,there seems to be no problem....Kiindly help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It just doesn't sound like your optical drive is set as first boot device.

Did you set it as such in the BIOS Setup?

anpsi

anpsi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I checked several times after u asked to check whether CD/DVD drive is set as first boot device....It is first ATAPI CD/DVD ROM Drive under boot order then USB floppy and goes on....

anpsi

anpsi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Why is there no reply??......I tried with my friends recovery cd as well,not working.....what should i do next???