Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

managed to save my data now need to 'fix' windows

• Please log in to reply

rexann

rexann

• Pip
  • 4 posts
let me explain...

I have an Acer (no XP CDs...only the built in backup). I followed instructions on microsoft website only to realize the download I put on the CD was not the service pack 2 so it didn't work. I had a XP Professional so I downloaded it into the D drive and transferred all my information to an external hard drive.

So I try to use the Acer eRecovery and now can't get it to work...I am thinking the XP Pro overwrote the backup copy? But I didn't realize the backup was there anyway...do you think it was?

My only option, it seems is to choose between the XP Media (which is the one that I was running on my C drive and was factory installed or the XP Pro that I installed (as a temporary fix to transfer data).

The partitions show three...a drive C, a drive D and a smaller one. My son says the windows backup is usually on a small partition so he wants me to delete the partition that says D drive (AcerData)...which is the one I installed the XP Pro on.

WHAT do I do? I want to keep the backup in my computer and IF that backup was on the D drive and was overwritten by my installing the XP Pro, if I delete it, I'll no longer have ANY backup of Windows.

Anyone have a clue as to what I should try?

Advertisements