Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive says not enough space when 100gig left?!?

• Please log in to reply

christine81

christine81

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm in the process of backing up all my files on an external hard drive because I want to downgrade from Vista to XP (I hate Vista) but for some reason, I can't copy files that are over 6gig.
It says that there is not enough room on the destination hard drive, which is not true because I still have 100gig of free space on it.

What am I missing?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
How is the external drive formatted? NTFS or FAT32? Right-click on it in My Computer and select Properties to see how its formatted.
FAT32 has a file-size limitation of 4Gb. NTFS has no such file limitation (or if it does, its so high that you're unlikely to run into it).

christine81

christine81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Oh thanks, I'll have to reformat it to NTFS format then.
I found a temporary solution to my problem, I partitioned my C: to create another drive.
I didn't know it was so easy to do in Vista.
I guess that's the one positive thing about it.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I would still get your data off the hard drive and on to another type of media. Just in case some thing happens.

Not to burst your bubble, but are you sure you can downgrade. There have been some reports that people have been unable to find all the proper drivers.