Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont boot in any mode

• Please log in to reply

scooner

scooner

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi I re installed Windows XP SP 2 on my machine when it came to restart the screen came up stating that windows did not start successfully.
It then gives me the options of starting in, Safe mode,Safe mode with Networking or with Command Prompt Last known good config or start windows normally. I’ve tried all of these but the computer then just loops back to the same screen.

Even if I try F8 and go to the command prompt it loops back to the same screen.

The software and the codes are the ones that came with the computer back when I got it about 4 years ago.

I've got the whole system backed up on an external HD so don't mind formatting and starting from scratch if I have to but I cant even get into command prompt to type format c, Any ideas on what I can do would be appreciated.

NB the Machine is a Dell system 8400
Bios Version A03 (10/11/04)
Intel ® Pentium 4 CPU 3GHZ
Installed Memory 512mb
Memory Speed 400HZ

Edited by scooner, 29 May 2008 - 05:16 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I wonder if you have a recovery partition on your dell computer. Try holding the ctrl key down and clicking the F11 key. You should get to the recovery window to restore the computer back to when it was sent out by dell.

You may need to set the BIOS so the computer boots first from the cdrom drive. I think you use the F2 key when the computer is booting up to get to the bios. Once set to boot from the cdrom ( first boot device) then if you have a windows CD in the drive it will boot and start the windows setup.

SRX660

scooner

scooner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello and thank you for your response, I've just tried the Ctrl F11 and nothing happend it just stayed in the same loop.

Ok os I changed the order of the boot list but forgot to change the sequance number beside each of them. But it's worked and I've been able to reinstall Windows. Thank you for your help and response

All the best

Edited by scooner, 30 May 2008 - 05:11 AM.