Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2003 SharePoint services

• Please log in to reply

James Davidson

James Davidson

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

I am having trouble with SharPoint Services. When i open a document from a document library on the Intranet created in say Word or Excel, it opens in HTML format, and not the application itself. This means that some of the application features are no longer available and when i try to save this back to the Company web, it steers me towards saving on my local drives, hence not saving as a different version directly on the Company web.

If this makes sense, i would appreciate any help you can offer.

Kind Regards
Che

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, take this with a grain of salt...I have never touched sharepoint, have read all of one whitepaper and have only a basic understanding of it.

So, my suggestion has more to do with understanding how windows desktop and IE works then sharepoint.

That warning made:

Open MY COMPUTER on an affected machine, then choose Tools > Folder Options > File Types

scroll down to DOC, select it, then choose ADVANCED button....is BROWSE IN SAME WINDOW checked? Uncheck it.

Do the same for excel.

now try...does that work?

James Davidson

James Davidson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Whoever that was, you are a genius. The documents now open in the application. Obviously as with all IT issues, it now opens fine, but does not give the option to save back to the Companyweb, which is the location of the intranet on the server.

It says the document is read only. To save a copy, click save as...... i am not sure if this is due to the functionality in SharePoint as it usually saves back to the site and automatically saves as the latest version with some clever functioanlity allowing you to view previous versions from a drop down.

Hmmmm. Still, getting there

tonykorheiser

tonykorheiser

• Pip
  • 1 posts
To have the save back to server you have to check the document out first then edit and when your done check it back in.

James Davidson

James Davidson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks. Just checked that, and seems like the best way to amend documents. Gives consistency to users as well.

Thanks