Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot repair network connection (ERROR)

• Please log in to reply

troxio

troxio

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I am not too smart in computers at all, and I am sure that somebody has posted something like this before, but I need serious help and somebody that can help me with this:

I had to reinstall my Windows XP Pro, since there were huge amounts of viruses on it, and everything went fine during the install, but when I try to go onto Internet Explorer I can't. So I checked my 1934 Network Connection, and it says it's connected, but it's not receiving or sending any packets, and is not showing an IP address! Yes, my router is connected properly since I can use my wireless laptop from the router that is connected to it (SO THERE IS AN INTERNET CONNECTION IN THE MODEM). Well I also tried to hit the repair button in the Network Tasks bar, and here is the following error message it's showing:
FAILED TO QUERY TCP/IP SETTINGS OF THE CONECTION. CANNOT PROCEED.

Does anybody have any idea how this could be fixed??? I am in desperate need of help, and I've been having this problem for 1 week now!

THANKS!!!

Advertisements

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
The 1394 network connection isn't for your internet. You should have a wireless connection listed as well, that's the one for your internet. If you don't, that would explain why you're no connecting :) Post back whether or not you have another network connection listed, then we can provide directions from there.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I'd like to see some more information. Please follow the steps below.
  • Go to Start -> Run.
  • In the Box, type in "cmd".
  • A black box will appear. Type in: "ipconfig /all".
  • A lot of information will appear, Please right click the black window and hit mark.
  • Select every line of text you recieved and hit "enter" to copy.
  • Then paste it into your next reply.

fawoodward is right, the 1394 isn't your internet connection. It is in fact your firewire connection.
Follow the directions and I'm sure we can work this out :)

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 30 May 2008 - 12:06 PM.

troxio

troxio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I waited for it 10 minutes to show up, but the only thing I saw was Windows IP Configuration.

Fawoodward: The only thing I have in the Network Connections is: 1394 Connection, and I didn't have the Wireless connection on the PC before I reinstalled it, THERE IS INTERNET IN THE MODEM, but it's not getting to my PC... I can use the wireless Internet, which comes from the wireless router that is connected to my modem!

Any ideas?

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Do you have a wireless card in your computer? Check device manager and see if there's anything with a yellow exclamation on it or something showing as unknown.

troxio

troxio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Well I have the following under OTHER DEVICES:

Multimedia Audio Controller
other PCI Bridge Device
PCI Memory Controller
SM Bus Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

But I don't think you understood me correctly, I ran the PC on the internet which came through my Modem, not the Wireless router from which I am running my laptop. Router an modem are connected, so the modem can give internet to the wireless router!

Do you understand?

Edited by troxio, 30 May 2008 - 03:41 PM.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Yes I understand, but you have to have a device in windows to give you an internet/network connection, which you said :
THERE IS INTERNET IN THE MODEM, but it's not getting to my PC...

You need a network card (wired or wireless) to access the internet from the modem. And if the only thing in your network connections is the 1394 device, then you don't have one installed. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding, that would be your problem?

troxio

troxio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yes, what I actually said is my problem: THERE IS INTERNET IN THE MODEM, but it's not getting to my PC...

Well, if what you say is the concern, then why before reinstalling Windows, I had full speed Internet, and everything went fine?

troxio

troxio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
And In device manager under Network Adapters I have 1394 Net Adapter.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Because you probably had a network device installed in your previous windows. Under other devices, are any of those showing a yellow exclamation or if you view the properties, any of them saying there's a problem with the device or anything other than it's working properly?

Advertisements

troxio

troxio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
No, nothing saying errors, not working properly.

Nothing like that! ...

Can I install the network device anyhow?

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Trying to find a network device on your computer, but you said the only thing under network adapters is the 1394. Can you run msinfo32.exe and do File ... Save and save it to a location that you'll remember, then uplaod that file. That'll help see what devices you have on your system and what's going on.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Use the CD that came with the computer to install the Netword Drivers.
If you don't have a CD you can tell use the make/model of the PC and we can give you a link to drivers instead.

Regards,
Olrik

troxio

troxio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I do have a CD that i'll try to look in for the drivers!

I'll tell you what I get!

troxio

troxio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Well I had a DELL Resource CD which I ran, and I saw such drivers as:

Modem Diagnostics
Modem Drivers
Network (NIC) Diagnostics

I installed those 3, and restarted my PC, sill no internet! :)