Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

<windows root>\system32\hal.dll

• Please log in to reply

JustSomeone

JustSomeone

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey,

I'm currently having a problem with starting up my computer.

The error comes up as "Windows could not start because of the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please reinstall a copy of the the above file." I've tried inserting the Windows XP home edition cd, while the message comes up and pressing enter-but the same message comes up (I'm sure I'm doing something wrong).

If anyone has a solution to fixing this problem, without having to delete all the files saved on my computer (unless it has to be a last resort to fix it), the help would be greatfully appreciated.

I don't know much about computers, explaining step by step would help-like an idiot's guide to computers =D

Thanks in advance,

A currently-freaking-out-student.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
# Check for proper boot order in BIOS. You might see the hal.dll error if the boot order in BIOS is first looking at a hard drive other than your main hard drive.

If you've recently changed your boot order or recently flashed your BIOS, this may be what's causing your problem.

# Run Windows XP System Restore from a command prompt. If this doesn't work or you're receiving the hal.dll error message before you're able to complete this process, move on to the nextStep.

# Repair or replace the boot.ini file. This will work if the cause of the problem is actually Windows XP's boot.ini file and not the hal.dll file, which is often times the case.

# Write a new partition boot sector to the Windows XP system partition. If the partition boot sector has become corrupt or isn't properly configured, you may receive the hal.dll error.

# Restore the hal.dll file from the Windows XP CD. If the hal.dll file is truly the cause of the problem, restoring it from the original Windows XP CD may do the trick.

# Perform a repair installation of Windows XP. This type of installation should replace any missing or corrupt files. Continue troubleshooting if this does not resolve the issue.

# Perform a clean installation of Windows XP. This type of installation will completely remove Windows XP from your PC and install it again from scratch. While this will almost certainly resolve any hal.dll errors, it is a time consuming process due to the fact that all of your data must be backed up and then later restored.

If you can't gain access to your files to back them up, understand that you will lose them all if you continue with a clean installation of Windows XP.

# Finally, if all else has failed, including the clean installation from the last step, you're most likely facing a hardware issue with your hard drive. Replace the hard drive and then perform a new installation of Windows XP.

SRX660

JustSomeone

JustSomeone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
In the end, I couldn't delay fixing it so I had to call technical support and the problem was solved.

It's method 2 of this website http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477 (I believe its one of the answers you offered too)

I found out the reason why the cd wouldn't start-i placed it in the wrong cd drive =X

Anywho...much thanks SRX660, for replying. =)