Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How Can I Mute The Beeping Sounds My Motherboard Makes?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I'm using a processor adapter in order to use a pentium chip that's not meant to be on my motherboard. It works fine and has been for two years. The processor adapter basically fools the motherboard cpu slot and tells it to use the pentium chip that is really meant to be used on another motherboard. The only downside this has is that the microcode is not in my bios and thus every time I boot my pc, the motherboard beeps once and shows the following notice:

"microcode not found - to continue press F1"

Once I press F1 windows begins to boot and all is fine. But I'm getting sick of the loud beep coming from my motherboard when that notice comes up. It's also bad when everyones sleeping and I decide to turn on my pc. I can try a bios update that may have the new microcode in it which is basically like some sort of new cpu number my motherboard would use to identify extra info on the processor. But there is no bios update with the new microcode for my motherboard. & even if there were one it would be a shot in the dark to know for a fact that it has the microcode update.

Isn't there a way for me to shut off my motherboards "beeping" speaker via windows or something? Theres no such option in the bios settings... So I don't know what to do. I'd like to shut the darn thing off.

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Unplug the four pin speaker from the motherboard.
This of course only works if the board doesn't have its own onboard speaker.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
No it's an oboard speaker so I can't do that. Here's a picture of the mobo... I'm pointing at what I believe is the speaker:

Posted Image

Edited by superstar, 30 May 2008 - 11:12 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Short of physically removing it from the board, not really a lot else one can suggest short of changing the board.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't suggest doing this but you could just break the speaker instead of removing it...if you stick a pin or a finishing nail through the aparture on the speaker you should be able to break the peizo inside and it wouldn't work anymore...worst case scenario would be that doing this would only sort of break it then instead of a clean beep you'd get some odd noise

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I have quieted some found on other boards by layers of tape over it. Sometimes a cloth and tape will deaden the sound. It won't get rid of it completely though.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
A pc tech told me that I can just lift the speaker up as it's only held on the board by some jumpers. But I don't know him and he doesn't know my board so maybe I shouldn't try tugging it off yet??? What do you guys think by looking at the picture of my board on my 2nd post? Think it's removable?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I wouldn't just try tugging it off... I have seem some like that though so it's possible.... don't think it is in your case from the picture.... You could also try going to bios see if you have a halt on errors setting.... if so you can possibly set it to ignore or off

--- edit -----

may not be the best thing to do either but at least it could be done when others are trying to sleep ( if it works )

Good Luck

Edited by shard92, 03 June 2008 - 10:53 AM.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Well I've weighed my options and don't want to take the chance of pulling it off and the board breaking or causing damage if it is soldered on. I've decided to try using tape to cover it up...

But what kind of tape should I use? What won't stick forever, burn up, cause issues, etc?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I would say electrical tape....

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you are handy take out the motherboard and use a soldering iron (or whatever it's called) to melt the solder where the pins are. Do this while handling the speakers with a thin plier to avoid burning your fingers. Shake and pull lightly why warming one pin then move to the other.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
You do need to be very careful on motherboards.... they are multilayer and you should also use a grounded/temperature controlled soldering iron...