Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

helpctr.exe missing, sytem information tool wont start, dvd-rom and cd

• Please log in to reply

Sasha Kor

Sasha Kor

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright, I've got two problems here...

First off, I am running Windows XP Home Edition on an AMD Athlon 64 2.1ghz 3200+

1) My Help and Support service is running, but the system information tool, and the Help and Support windows will not open. I have several instances of helpctr.exe, but none in a PCHEALTH folder... in fact my system apparently doesn't HAVE a PCHEALTH folder.

2) Whenever I insert a disc in either my DVD-ROM (unknown make/model) or my CD-R (OEM Plextor PX-230A 52x/32x/52x), the drive will not acknowledge that a disc has been inserted. AutoRun does not start, and I have used Microsoft's Guided Help to deal with some of the registry entries that could be causing the issue. Plextor's website says that there aren't any specific drivers needed for the CD-R drive, but that it is designed to use the ones XP installs on it's own. I have not identified the DVD-ROM, and the Device Manager simply refers to it as "IDE DVD-ROM 16X." I have tested the drives with several different discs and neither drive seems to want to acknowledge that I have inserted any. For a while I could get them to work if I ejected the tray, tried to open the drive from My Computer to get it to display an "Insert Disc" dialogue, and would then insert the disc, but now even that doesn't work. I have also

The current CD-R drive is actually the second drive I have used on this machine, and it's predecessor (an OEM WRR-52Z 52x/32x/52x drive) had the exact same problem.

I've tried going through the Device Manager to uninstall the device drivers for both and restarting the computer to have it reinstall the XP drivers

I'm completely stumped on how to fix either of these problems.. I've been dealing with #2 now for over two years, and no amount of research into the problem has yielded any results for me. The other is recent, maybe the last 6 months but definitely before installing SP3.

I have too much crap on my computer to back anything up without my CD-R drive working, so I am unable to do a fresh install of Windows XP until I get that issue resolved.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
could be something in the bios thats set wrong...
have you tried this yet...
Click Start ... Run and type in regedit...click Ok

In the left pane, expand (click the +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE... SYSTEM...CurrentControlSet... then Control... Class and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed...
if so...
Let's remove the filters. this should bring your drives back

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export... Save this to your desktop...name it... filters.old...

Right click on LowerFilters and choose ..Delete...accept the change.

Right click on UpperFilters and choose ..Delete.....accept the change.

Close Registry Editor and reboot. When Windows starts, you should have your drives back
if everthing is now working properly...Right click on the file you saved to the desktop ...filters.old...click on delete...

if you just want to backup your data you can get a external usb drive pretty cheap these days or internal hard drive to move the data too..if its just a windows setting and not the cd/dvd drives that are causing the problem you can get a linux live cd and set the boot order to the cd drive first the boot up with the cd in the drive...if it boots from the cd drive you can use linux to back up your data...
if it won't boot from the cd drive..then either the cd drive or the cable is bad

Edited by happyrck, 08 June 2008 - 09:14 AM.

Sasha Kor

Sasha Kor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Turns out the cable was going bad. I'd run a tool from Microsoft that deleted the upperfilters and lowerfilters entries for me already, and after installing a new IDE cable for the drives and reinstalling the drivers again, they work fine (for now.)

However, I still can not access the Windows XP Help and Support Center because my helpctr.exe file is missing. This includes accessing the System Information tool. I have my Windows XP CD, and am wondering if there is a way to get the files reinstalled without having to go through and reinstall the OS from scratch.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...do a repair...lowdown is here...