Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP freezing and having trouble starting wifi

• Please log in to reply

djyohansolo

djyohansolo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, well I'll just describe what I'm going through, hopefully some one can help;

The comp doesn't freeze when it's not online, and it goes online via wifi. It used to go online with cable, but recently switched to this getgear wifi card. Everytime I want to go online, I have to go to the device manager, uninstall the wifi network card, then scan for new. Then I run a netgear prog, then the wireless turns on, etc.

eventually it freezes... and I have to restart and do it all over again etc.
plz help

Advertisements

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Can you go to "My computer" and right click and select "manage" then expand "Event Viewer" and right click on "System" and select "Save log file as ..." and name it syslog and save it to a location you will remember. Then upload that file so we can take a look. Thanks.

djyohansolo

djyohansolo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok...

well also wanted to add that I accidentally took off my manual wifi settings and now when I do it automatically i'm moving at dial-up pace... also, it says i'm offline when going to webpages, seems that every page I go to makes me reload the page before eventually slowly taking me there

the file you asked for is at djyohansolo.com/event.log if the attachment here doesn't go...

I really appreciate your help, because without it I think i'd give up on the internet for a long while

Edited by djyohansolo, 07 June 2008 - 10:05 PM.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
The location you indicated doesn't work and the file didn't upload. Just to simplify and clear the slate, let's start from scratch.

Go to control panel | Network Connections and list everything you have showing as wireless connection or Local Area Connection. Also, are you using Vista or XP?

djyohansolo

djyohansolo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm on XP, and it has just two things:

(name0Local Area Connection (type) Lan or high speed internet (status)network cable unplugged, firewalled, (device name: intel ® pro/100 VE Network connection

and

(name)Wireless network connection 198 (type) Lan or high speed internet (status) connected, firewalled, device name: netgear wg311v3802.11g wirless pci adaptor.

For the LOG -
i meant to type

djyohansolo.com/LOG.evt

*really* sorry about that

thx for your help :)

Edited by djyohansolo, 10 June 2008 - 11:55 PM.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
In looking at your event log, you have several dump files created when your computer crashed. If you can upload the 2 most recent dump files, that'll help find why you're crashing. The dump files will be located: C:\WINDOWS2\Minidump\*.dmp

djyohansolo

djyohansolo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok it's at djyohansolo.com/Mini052808-01.dmp, again i appreciate your help :)

djyohansolo

djyohansolo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
if its any help, and i think it should be, the freezing seems to stop when the other computer on the network is turned off.

The other computer on the network is connected typically via cabling but has a wifi card also....