Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer keeps freezing!

• Please log in to reply

FatalError

FatalError

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I can't get many specs because it even freezes on dxdiag! But heres what I remember:

AMD Athlon XP (2.1GB)
Windows XP Home Edition SP2
nVidia GeForce FX 5100 (64MB)
512MB RAM
Realtek Audio

If this helps: It started since I got a new power circuit on my Compaq Presario SR1040AN

Here's what happens!
There's a very good chance it'll freeze on anything I do - it definitely freezes on flash, macromedia, applications such as photoshop, games, java, right clicking, dropdown boxes, it even froze while I was typing this! I NEED HELP! I CAN'T USE THIS COMPUTER LIKE THIS!

Note: It's a full computer freeze, I have to restart. Sometimes it flickers once and comes back on (rare) and if I leave it on, it'll come back with a blue screen saying that the driver got stuck in an infinite loop (its not my video card, I've cleaned the drivers and installed the newest version).

ALSO! I don't believe it's spyware or adware, I have run scans and removed all infections with Spy Hunter 3, Spyware Doctor, and SUPERAntiSpyware. Anyways, you can find my HJT log here.

Edited by FatalError, 30 May 2008 - 03:47 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Why did you replace the power supply unit in the first place? This will help us to understand the problem. Meanwhile do the following:

1: Check if the psu has a voltage adjustment switch. If there is one you will see that at the back of the computer. Make sure it's set to the voltage in your country (220-240V, I assume).

2: Make sure that all the cables from the psu are connected tightly.

3: Try to clear the BIOS by doing this:Disconnect the power cable from the back of the computer. Open the side cover and carefully take out the cmos battery (looks like a silvery button). Keep it out for about 15 minutes. Reinstall and reboot. You will probably get a checksome error or some other message. If you do, enter BIOS and set time and date, save the new values and let the computer boot. There are computers in which other keys have to be used to enter BIOS. You can find the correct key when looking at the screen right after pressing the start button. Look for what key you have to press to enter setup.

FatalError

FatalError

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I replaced it because the other one 'crashed and burned' - the computer would NOT turn on. It seemed that it sparked.

Also, it does not have voltage adjustment, it just has an on/off switch. The cables are all connected, and I am not techy enough to be fiddling around with the inside of my computer :) If I can't fix it, I'd just like to know what is causing it.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
The new power supply you got is at least 400w?

Does it do this in safe mode also? And if the old one sparked, it's possible it shorted out your motherboard or a component.