Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Home edition crash

• Please log in to reply

davedharper

davedharper

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am running Windows X home edition on service pack 2.
It was running fine untill about an hour ago when it crashed. I have rebooted my system and it loads up to my desktop. All my icons appear however i cannot click on them. When i move my cursor to the start bar (anywhere on it) the eggtimer is there, not the pointer. I cannot ctrl, alt, del as this does not respond. I have tried starting up in safe mode however the same thing happens.
I have tried ringing for support elsewhere but they want £60 just to look, then another £60 to fix it!! (and that could rise!
Please help!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Reboot the computer, and when the BIOS screen shows keep hitting the F8 key repeatedly until you get a screen where you can choose how to boot the computer. Pick the "last know good configuration" and see if the computer comes back. If it does not you will have to do a repair install with a XP cd.

SRX660

davedharper

davedharper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
taa muchly.....seems ok again now.