Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer running slowly, Win32:Vundrop [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Avocatier

Avocatier

• Pip
  • 3 posts
mm..this is my first time here, sorry if problems like this have been solved already in the past. Also, I've noticed that it seems there are other people complaining about slow computer recently.

Since yesterday, my PC has been running very slowly. Programs that normally run smoothly becomes lagging and occasionally freezes. Windows Live Messenger is running (it's shown running in the Task Manager), but the window won't show. Some searching fixed this problem, but the lagging and the occasional freeze still happens (at least until yesterday. I haven't got the guts to open too many programs) D:

Just this morning, I've got messages from Avast saying that my computer has been infected with Win32:Vundrop. I've already deleted it. What does this virus do? Avast said it's a Dropper, but what can it do?

And, I've attempted to do some online scanning with ActiveScan/Panda, but it got stuck at some point until now, exactly at this file :

C:\System Volume Informat...}\RP350\A0064814.exe (Can't get the full address, sorry x_X;)
Another attempt of googling seems to indicate that this file is an adware (in fact, that attempt is what brought me here, and other sites I'm still opening) and attempts of deleting the file manually has failed (when I tried to open the folder it goes 'Access is denied') Also, past certain point of scanning, my browser goes...weird. Like, when switching windows, images of the previous windows (even screenshots) still retains until you scrolled the tab, or hovering the mouse pointer at objects.. I wonder why? Should I continue the scanning, or retrying it, or just stop it? I'd tried it twice, the first one ended with Firefox crashing at 20%, and this one....went stuck at 20% too. I don't know whether if it's stuck on the same file or not.

I hadn't used HijackThis since I thought I'm going to wait till the scanning finished before using it, but should I use HijackThis first, then scanning later?

Edited by Avocatier, 31 May 2008 - 10:07 AM.

Advertisements

Avocatier

Avocatier

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Bump!

Avocatier

Avocatier

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I would like to notify that I've asked other forums (TechSupport Forum) for assistance at nearly the same time as when I posted this topic, and due to my issue being handled there first, and this topic may be closed..

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.