Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Western Digital My Book Pro Edition - Fault

• Please log in to reply

bigdave

bigdave

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
My drive is just about done for. At least, in its external form. Access times in both reads and writes have gone downhill (just happened one day in a second's notice), as has the spindown. It no longer fully powers down, even though the LED's do go dark on my PC's shutdown. I reckon it's only a matter of time before it gets worse. Right now it's tolerable, but I doubt it will stay that way for long. Soon I probably won't even be able to access anything on it without a Delayed Read/Write Failure.

I know from reading online that the drive is known for its trouble. I got it in January 2007, so the warranty is up. And besides, WD are seriously pissing people off with their less than popular solutions [cited: http://en.wikipedia....ook#Pro_Edition].

My question is this. The case on the drive is closed with no obvious way of opening it. If I was to carefully break it open, what would I find? Is the drive an IDE drive (or SATA, perhaps)? If so, I'd like to do just that and place it into my PC as a standard internal drive. I formatted it NTSC (from FAT32) on the day it arrived, so it's perfectly compatible with my Windows XP.

My exact drive (Western Digital My Book Pro Edition):
Posted Image

If anyone knows this particular drive, and can answer my question without dispute, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Well if its out of warranty, take it apart and see what's inside is what I would do. I take a lot of things apart when they're out of warranty, its often the only way you learn anything about the stuff you're using. Whether it works again after I've put it back together is another matter but that's just me :)

bigdave

bigdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Well if its out of warranty, take it apart and see what's inside is what I would do. I take a lot of things apart when they're out of warranty, its often the only way you learn anything about the stuff you're using. Whether it works again after I've put it back together is another matter but that's just me :)

I can't afford to lose all my data, and I have nowhere else to put it. It's a 500GB drive. I'm looking to see if the HDD inside will work as an internal SATA 150 or IDE.