Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

wooza

wooza

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi guys, My computer randomly shuts off. It keeps occuring very frequently now. I have ran AVG and have got Zonealarm, and I can't see anything out of place in the HJT scan. I was just wondering if anybody has any suggestions. I don't think it is overheating because I have cleaned the heat sink and fan, and the PC feels cool.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Cheers

Advertisements

wooza

wooza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Any ideas folks?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Heat or failing hardware may be a problem. Remove your case and make sure that all the fans are running, on some machines the fans only start when the cooling surface reaches a certain temperature. Make sure the cooling surfaces are free of dust. You can put a small room fan beside the open case to add extra cooling, if that stops the shutdowns then you know that it is a cooling problem. You can run memtest86 to check your memory, that is one piece of hardware that can cause shutdowns and that you can replace if need be.

Are there any indications at all before a shutdown occurs, or is it just sudden?

wooza

wooza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi there. Thankyou for the reply. I will take the case back off and put a home fan next to it. There is no indication that it is going to turn off, it just does it suddenly. When previous machines that I have owned have over heated it was either because the fan/heatsink was covered i dust, or because it was a hot day and I was putting the machine under high stress playing a game. Is it possible that a worm could cause this type of problem? or is it more likely to be a hardware issue?

Again thanks for your reply and time.

wooza

wooza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi there. Yesterday I put the machine into safe mode and it has not turned off once since. What would this indicate?

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts

Hi there. Yesterday I put the machine into safe mode and it has not turned off once since. What would this indicate?

when you say "shuts off" do you mean it just completely powers down, does it reboot, or does it show a blue screen?

wooza

wooza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
It is like it is powering down, but it turns off instantly. The screen does not go blue. I then have to press the power button to start it up again. As I say though, I have been using it in safe mode for two days now and it is still turned on.

wooza

wooza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Any suggestions?

wooza

wooza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi there I have looked at the event viewer. I turned the PC on in normal mode, and it had just finished loading up and it turned off. I then put it back into safe mode and looked at the Event Viewer. Here are the results.

Attached Thumbnails

• Event_Viewer.jpg
  • Event_Viewer_2.JPG

wooza

wooza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I have got no idea what to do now. The machine will not even get past start up before it turns off. But as said, works perfectly well in safe mode. Any help whatsoever would be extremely appreciated.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Go to Event Viewer, right click each of the categories and click "clear all events". Reboot the computer in normal mode, let it crash, reboot in safe mode and report all the details of the error which was just created.

wooza

wooza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi there, here are the screen shots of the Event Viewer after i cleared it and powered up. It last about 30 seconds then went off. The only ones to contain any errors were Applications, Security and System, So they are the ones I have posted.

Attached Thumbnails

• Event_Viewr.JPG
  • Event_Viewr_2.JPG
  • Event_Viewr3.JPG

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Go to administrative tools > Services. Look for DCOM service, double click the service and in Startup Type set it to Automatic. Reboot and report.

wooza

wooza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I went into Admin tools and Dcom was already set for automatic startup type. I then rebooted in Normal mode and it shut off. Here are the latest errors from the event viewer.

Attached Thumbnails

• Evt_Vwr.JPG
  • Evt_Vwr2.JPG

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

DCOM (Distributed Component Object Model) is a set of Microsoft concepts and program interfaces in which client program object s can request services from server program objects on other computers in a network. DCOM is based on the Component Object Model (COM), which provides a set of interfaces allowing clients and servers to communicate within the same computer (that is running Windows 95 or a later version)

Are you running any servers?

Tempoarily set DCOM to manual and reboot to normal mode. Let us know what happens. We need to find out if this is truly the culprit.
Safe mode is minimal drivers and programs. The fact that you can start in safe mode indicates a start up of a driver or program.