Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Since when did the problem start? Can you single any event after which it started? Hardware, software installation/removal? Anything that could give us a lead. Is your Windows fully updated?

When you Google for the DCOM 10005 error, many entries can be found. The problem is that there is no single cause, no single remedy. In such case I would advise a wide spectrum repair process, hoping to eliminate the problem even without knowing the source.

Run XP repair installation. You can use my link below to G2G repair guide. Please note: XP repair does not always succeed and can even create other problems. To increase your chance for success please disconnect from your modem/router, boot to safe mode (your only option) and uninstall your AVG, zoneAlarm and any other antimalware program that is running in the background. Run disc cleaner and disk defragmantation. Run XP repair.

Even better still, answer my questions in the first paragraph and let's wait and see somewhat. Maybe other people will have better ideas. I honestly don't like XP repair.

Advertisements

wooza

wooza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Any ideas folks?

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Hi Wooza

I would say that I agree with 123Runner that it sounds like
a starting program/service since you can run it in safe-mode.

Try this:

Click on start, click run, type in the white box: msconfig
Find the tab named services
At the bottom, you place a checkmark in hide all microsoft services

Remove all checkmarks for the rest of the services showing except your Anti-virus

Be sure to turn on windows-Firewall before rebooting.
This is only momentarily.

See how it goes. If all is well, bring up msconfig once again,
place a single checkmark in one of those removed, reboot each time.
Or dissect it into 2 or 3 at a time to narrow down the culprit.
I know its tedious :) but its one way to find out.(and hopefully you
don't have to many non-microsoft services :) )

Regards Abydos