Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Change Root User Name

• Please log in to reply

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
As a prank, I made the user name of a friend something funny during a Windows Installation. Needless to say, he doesn't like it (lol) and he wants me to fix it. I want to know if there are any programs that can completely change any reference top this old user name to a new one.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would just create a new User Account and then log out of that 'humorous' user and then login with the new 'good' user. Then just delete the 'humorous' account.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello fortune82...

Click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok". In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows NT, and click on CurrentVersion.

In the right pane, locate and double click on RegisteredOwner...change the Value Data to the owner you wish to appear and click "Ok". Close Registry Editor and reboot.

wannabe1