Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Change default Open extension for Wordpad

• Please log in to reply

pava

pava

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My Wordpad has always defaulted to open .rtf files. After a reinstallation of WinXP, now Wordpad wants to open .doc files. This would be minor, but I use Wordpad more than any other text editor. It's a bloomin' nuisance to see an empty folder instead of the expected list of files, then remember to change the default file type in the combo box.

I've searched high and low for an answer. Can anyone here help me?

Thanks!

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Right click the file you want to open.
Select open with.
select choose program.
select the program you want to use.
Make sure you tick the box "always use"

pava

pava

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, 123, that works when clicking a file from Windows Explorer. But in the Open dialogue box within Wordpad, the default file type is still .doc. That is what I want to change. Is it possible? The changed file association works just fine, but Wordpad is still locked on .doc.

Any other advice (besides "get used to it")?