Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can a system be tested without CPU/RAM/Video Card?

• Please log in to reply

dlobmwm3

dlobmwm3

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Not sure if i broke anything but i just wanted to check of the fans would come on. I did not put my RAM in nor the CPU. I only hooked up the DVD, HD, and floppy. Would the computer still turn on without the CPU/Heat Sink and RAM. Or does it need these two to power on the machine? This was purely to test my fans on the Antec 900 case. SCARED OUT OF MY PANTS RIGHT NOW.

AMD 3800 PLUS
4gb ram
350gb HD
nvidia 8800gtx 768MB

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, welcome to Geeks to Go!

Why would you just want to test the fans on the case?

There's no point in connecting the DVD, HDD, and floppy drive if you haven't got a CPU or RAM as well, as it won't work.

So why are you scared? Have you tried connecting the processor and RAM, and then starting it up? If not, give it a go. Or if I've missed something here, feel free to elaborate it further.

Cheers

Troy

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A computer will start without a processor or memory, though it won't do anything, all it'll prove is that there's power going round the board.